Gifts in Kind
The following information is required in writing from the donor:
• A description of the gift (in basic terms that can be easily understood by a non-technical person)
• The date the gift was received by UWO
• The value /amount of the gift and how the value was determined
• If the gift is used, its age and condition
• The college or department receiving the gift
• Costs associated with accepting the gift (i.e., shipping, installation, maintenance), if applicable
• Stipulations as to how the gift will be used by UWO. It is important to substantiate that the gift has actual value to UWO and will be used.
Gifts-in-Kind of $5,000 or More
If the gift-in-kind is from an individual and the value is over $5,000, the IRS requires the donor
to obtain an independent appraisal to substantiate his or her charitable tax deduction (performed
within IRS time requirements). The cost of the appraisal is the responsibility of the donor.
Before recording the gift, the Foundation Office reserves the right to evaluate the reported valuation. It is the responsibility of the donor to substantiate to the IRS the gift value when taken as a tax deduction on his or her tax return.
In-Kind Donation Form (please complete and return to the Foundation with your gift.)