Personal tools
Connect with us


Foreign Language Lab Semester Hours
Monday - Thursday
9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
You are here: Home > Spanish > FAQ


Preguntas mas frecuentes.

Question: I am working on my Spanish major/minor, and I’m not sure which classes I should take next semester. Whom should I ask?
Please see your Spanish language adviser. You can find their name on your STAR report. They will be able to help you organize and plan your courses to complete the major or minor.


Question: I am working on my Spanish major/minor and I heard that I have to complete a study abroad program in order to graduate.
Spanish majors and minors in the UW Oshkosh College of Letters and Science are not required to complete a study abroad program. It is recommended and strongly encouraged by the Spanish faculty and staff that you study in a Spanish-speaking country, but it is not a requirement.

Spanish majors and minors who are in the UW Oshkosh College of Education and Human Services (COEHS) and who plan to teach Spanish, must complete a study abroad immersion program of four weeks or more in a Spanish-speaking country. The immersion requirement is a DPI (Department of Public Instruction) mandate for all teachers of Spanish before they may begin their student teaching in the field. The study abroad program must be approved by the Spanish program.

*The Spanish program recommends a full semester abroad.


Question: How can I find out about study abroad programs?
You may speak to your adviser or coordinator of the Spanish program the Office of International Education (OIE) in Dempsey Hall. All three of them will have helpful information for you as you plan this important part of your Spanish studies.

OJO: OIE now has a study abroad worksheet to help you prepare for this important experience.


Question: I’m an education major, and I completed my study abroad program a year ago. Why does it still say that I have to complete a study abroad program in order to begin my student teaching?
In order to receive official recognition for your study abroad immersion experience, you must go to the foreign languages and literatures office, Radford Hall 315, and fill out the appropriate paperwork, which will then be forwarded for signatures and sent to COEHS for you.


Question: What if I want to go on a study abroad program that is not a UW Oshkosh program?  How do I get credit for the courses I take?
Once you complete all of the necessary steps included on the study abroad worksheet provided by OIE, you can make an appointment to meet with the Spanish coordinator, take your most recent STAR report and all of the information you have collected from the study abroad program that you are interested in. You will need course descriptions and syllabi in some cases. You and the coordinator will then work out course equivalencies (if possible), fill out a Transfer Credit Prior Approval form, which we will then submit for you. Upon completion, your courses will transfer in as their UW Oshkosh equivalents.


Question: According to the placement test I took, I should be in Spanish 300, 312 or for Heritage Speakers, Spanish 310, but the class seems way too hard for me.  What should I do?
The placement test is not always a perfect measure of some students’ knowledge of Spanish. Consult with your instructor and your adviser to find a more appropriate course level for you.


Question: Why are some people required to complete just 40 credits for the major or 25 credits for the minor, and I have to complete 42 credits for the major or 27 credits for the minor?
Under the old major and minors requirements: When students come into UW Oshkosh and place into a 300-level course, and if they get a B or better in the first 300-level course they take, they are eligible to receive a maximum of 16 retro credits. Our 110-204 series is composed of 18 credits, therefore, the placement students will receive two credits less than students who begin at the 100 or 200-level. For that reason, their credit requirements are two credits less for the major or the minor.

All other students must complete 42 or 27 credits.


Question: I just passed 204 with an AB, but my retro-credits haven’t appeared on my STAR report. How do I get my retro-credits for 110-203?
In order to receive retro credits you must take a recent copy of your STAR report and your campus ID to the main office of the DFLL. Kathy Lutzke will help you to fill out the paperwork necessary to get your retro credits. In 2-5 business days your credits should appear on your STAR report.


Question: I just completed 204, and now I want to start working on my major/minor. What is the next class I should take?
The Spanish program requires that you begin with our new course Spanish 300. Conversaciones Culturales or a combination or Spanish 300 and 312 Advanced Grammar I or in the case of heritage speakers, you begin with Spanish 310.

This is the best next step for you in your preparation toward the major or minor.


Question: What is this new verb test I have heard about that students are taking in 300-level Spanish classes?
In order to address the need for Spanish majors and minors to control fully one of the fundamental aspects of language learning—verb conjugation—and to provide the division with a useful tool for assessing their knowledge of that fundamental aspect, we are implementing a test of high frequency verbs, both irregular and regular.

This test is given in five advanced-level core courses:

  • Spanish 312 Advanced Grammar I
  • Spanish 313 Advanced Grammar II
  • Spanish 301 Advanced Composition and Conversation I
  • Spanish 304 Advanced Composition and Conversation II
  • Spanish for Heritage Speakers

Students are given a list of 100 verbs on the first day of classes. They are then tested on 10 randomly selected verbs at the beginning of the semester, again at mid-term and a third and final time at the end of the term. A score of 90 percent and above on the third test will have no impact on students’ grades, ranging down to a score of less than 70 percent, which will reduce the students' course grade to an F. In that case, the students may retake the class or go on to other Spanish classes, accepting the F and the fact that the course will not count toward the major or minor.

For more details, visit the conjugation test policy Web page, contact your instructor, adviser or the Spanish language coordinator.


Question: I am ready to start taking my three required literature classes for the major. Which would be the best one for me to start with?
The best class to take after you have completed your grammar and composition requirements is Spanish 314 Introduction to the Study of Spanish and Latin American Literature. This course is now the required first literature course for the major and will give you the preparation necessary to move on to the more advanced literature courses, for example 315, 318, 320, 325 or 364. All students should take this course before the other literature course offered in the Spanish program.


Question: All I have left to complete my major are the three required literature classes. Do you think I could take all three of them at once next semester to finish my Spanish major more quickly? I want to graduate as soon as possible.
The three literature courses are the most advanced, most difficult courses in your major. In these courses you will be expected to read, write and analyze literature in its original form and at an advanced level. These are very challenging courses. All of your preparation in Spanish leads you to these courses. Therefore, students are permitted to take a maximum of two literature classes per on campus at UWO and/or in a study abroad program.

This literature course limit is noted in the current edition of Undergraduate Bulletin.


Question: I started my studies at UW Oshkosh at the 300-level. I got a B in 312 and so I got 16 retroactive credits for the 100- and 200-level Spanish classes. Now my STAR report says I still need 208. I know that I don’t have to go back and take it now. How do I get 208 waived?
Two literature courses in one semester is the maximum recommended. If you take your major in Spanish seriously, you will dedicate the time and energy necessary for its completion to the best of your abilities.

In order to waive the 208 requirement for the major or the minor, you need to go to the main foreign languages and literatures office, Radford 315, to see Kathy Lutzke after you have made all decisions regarding your majors and minors for graduation. She will email in the waiver to Dempsey for you. You should see the changes on your STAR report within 2-5 business days.


Question: I have heard that the Praxis II exam for Spanish if very difficult. I’m an education and Spanish major. When should I take the exam?
The Praxis II exam for Spanish must be taken seriously. It is best to take the exam immediately following your study abroad immersion program and after taking advanced-level courses in Spanish. If possible, it should be taken at the moment in which you feel your strongest in Spanish.

We recommend that you begin to think about and prepare yourself for this exam from the very beginning of your studies, in your advanced level grammar courses, culture and civilization courses, and literature courses.


Question: Are there any groups I can join on campus to practice my Spanish, participate in activities related to Spanish and hang out with other Spanish majors and minors?
Yes, here are on-campus organizations you can join:


OJO: When in doubt, please consult your adviser in the foreign languages and literatures department and the Spanish program. We are here to answer your questions and help you plan your major or minor!

by schrod69 — last modified Aug 15, 2012 01:55 PM