Major with Emphases
Liberal Arts Emphasis
Recommended for students who wish to pursue a profession in diplomacy, international business, interpreting and translating or for cultural interests. Students are encouraged to consider a minor in European or international studies.
- Completion of 33 units
- Core Courses
- French 315, 318, 321
- 3 courses from: French 301, 303, 304, 308, 312, 330 or 331, 360, 400-level.
- Electives: Sufficient courses from the department's upper-level offerings to meet the minimum requirement.
Secondary Education Emphasis
Recommended for students who wish to fulfill requirements leading to department of public instruction licensure for either grades K-12 or 6-12.
- Core Courses
- French 301, 315, 318
- 5 courses from: 303, 304, 308, 312, 330 or 331, 360, 400 level.
- Electives: Sufficient courses from the department's upper level offerings to meet the minimum requirement.
- DPI Certification requires a period of language immersion in residence in a country in which the language is spoken.
- Comment: The department encourages students to participate in the Term in Paris Program, co-sponsored by UW Oshkosh in conjunction with other universities; the Université du Québec à Chicoutimi programs sponsored by UW Oshkosh, and other programs in France. Students considering graduate work in French, comparative literature or foreign language education should consult with French division faculty. For more information, download the French major handout (PDF).