Personal tools
You are here: Home Vehicle Usage Policies & Procedures

Policies & Procedures

— filed under:

Wis. Stats 16.003(1), 16535(5) and (6) and 20.916(4) and (7), (9)(e

Revised November 2004

For further clarification of nomenclature, please see the Definition of Terms


Policy - General

Who Can Use a State Vehicle

State officers and employees with a valid driver’s license and two years licensed driving experience may drive state vehicles. All drivers will be required to sign a Vehicle Use Agreement. A copy of this form can be found at the Fleet Vehicle office or online.

The University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh maintains a fleet of vehicles (sedans, minivans, vans) for use in traveling on official university business. These vehicles are available for use on a mileage fee basis by individuals designated in writing by the University as agents of the state.

The following regulations apply:

University vehicles may be used only for university business. All passengers must be designated and approved as "agents" involved in university-related business or functions. The transportation of other personnel, such as, friends or family members for purposes not related to State business is prohibited. The rationale of "convenience" is not a valid reason for dropping off friends, spouses, children, etc. enroute to the approved destination.

Each request for use of a fleet vehicle must be in writing, authorized by the unit's budget control officer. The authorizing officer thereby assumes full responsibility for the "official status" of the trip.

Each driver must have a valid Wisconsin driver's license. Reasonable exceptions are made for new hires, visiting faculty, new students. The exceptions must have a valid driver's license from another state and will have to sign a notarized statement of their driving record. Reminder: a Wisconsin driver's license is required upon becoming a Wisconsin resident - please inform the Fleet Office of your new license number.

Unless approved by Risk Management at UW System, the following driving record will constitute criteria for denial of use of a university vehicle:

  • Three or more moving violations including two "at fault" accidents within the last 2 year period.
  • Violation within the past 12 months for drunken driving, reckless driving, or driving under influence of drugs.
  • Possessing only a temporary license.
  • Had license in effect less than one year after a revocation.
  • Less than 2 years licensed driving experience

Policy - Students

Student Drivers

Students may be authorized to operate State vehicles as employees or as agents of the State when they are performing a direct service to the State and when such service is in the best interest of the State. An agency relationship must exist in order for the liability insurance coverage to be in force to offer protection to the operator of the State vehicle. A student may take a university vehicle out-of-state only if accompanied by a faculty or staff member.

Student drivers must file a "Student/Volunteer Driver Authorization" form signed by the Activity Advisor. Student/Volunteer clearances cover the current fiscal year only and expire on August 15.

Student Organizations

The university employee (sponsor) who requests the use of fleet vehicles by a recognized student organization must sign the request form. A university employee must accompany all out-of-state travel using university vehicles.

Policy - 14-Passenger Buses

For bus operation, additional provisions apply. Drivers must have a satisfactory driving record, must be 25 years of age, and have two years licensed driving experience. Employees will be deemed to have satisfactory driving records unless they have significant traffic violations that include, but are not necessarily limited to:

  • No more than six demerit points in the past three years
  • No violations in the last year of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, reckless driving speed of 20 miles over the limit, or loss of a regular license.
  • Completion of the van/bus training program. (Grandfathering only applies to those employees that were grandfathered in before December 1, 1994.)
  • Abstinence from the use of drugs or alcohol on the specified driving day.
  • The completed authorization must be received and approved by the risk management department prior to using a vehicle.

Any other individual (student, student employee or volunteer) who may request the use of a van or bus will also have to meet all of the requirements above.

Eligibility to drive state-owned vans/buses with a capacity of 12 passengers or more requires that employes complete a driver training approved by DOA. Contact the fleet vehicle office (x3466) for more information.

Policy - Permitted and Prohibited Uses of State Vehicles

Employe’s Responsibility

The primary use of a state-owned vehicle shall be for official state business or incidental use associated with official business away from the headquarters city. Incidental use includes travel to and from lodging and meals, but only when away from an employe’s headquarters city.

  1. The use of a state vehicle by an employe who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs is strictly forbidden. Any such vehicle use will be considered a violation of work rules and may be grounds for disciplinary action up to and including discharge.
  2. All drivers and passengers in State vehicles are required to comply with the Wisconsin seat belt law.
  3. A State vehicle that will be used to transport non-state employees would be considered non-business mileage. Thus, if an employe wishes to travel with his/her family, a personal vehicle should be used. Where family members or non-state employes are involved in official state business, this provision would not preclude them from traveling in this vehicle.
  4. Employes are responsible for compliance with IRS requirements that relate to mileage reimbursement.
  5. State-owned vehicles may not be used for vacations.
  6. Trailer hitches and towing are not permitted.
  7. Hauling loads with state vehicles that could structurally damage the vehicle is prohibited. Some examples of potentially damaging loads include firewood, sod, and/or gravel.
  8. Modifications to state vehicles for personal reasons are not permitted. This includes affixing signs, stickers, antennas, bike racks, ski racks, etc.
  9. Installation and/use of any radar-detection device in state vehicles is prohibited.
  10. The use of state vehicles for personal gain, such as delivering goods or services is prohibited.
  11. Hitchhikers are not permitted in state vehicles, except in emergency situations when drivers are rendering assistance to disabled motorists.
  12. Jump starts are not allowed except in emergency situations and then only to start state-owned vehicles.
  13. Drivers are personally responsible for the cost of all traffic citations and parking tickets.
  14. Requesting a fleet vehicle to drive oneself to the airport to leave the vehicle parked overnight or longer is prohibited.

Policy - Procedures for Use

Procedures for Use of University Fleet Vehicles:

  • Faculty/staff member must provide the Fleet Office with a completed Vehicle Use Authorization form in order that their driving record can be checked with the Motor Vehicle Department.
  • A student or volunteer driver must file a Student/Volunteer Driver Authorization form with the Fleet Office. Forms are available at the Fleet Vehicle office or online.
  • Anyone holding an out-of-state driver's license must complete and submit a notarized driving record statement. Forms are available at the Fleet Vehicle office or online.

All reservations must be on a "Request for Use of Fleet Vehicle" form, signed by the unit's authorizing agent.  Individuals should contact the Fleet Vehicle Operation well in advance of a trip to insure vehicle availability. Vehicle reservation requests can be made no more than one year in advance of the trip date.

At time of scheduled departure, report to the Fleet Vehicle Office in the Campus Services Building, 650 Witzel Avenue, to sign out keys and pick up vehicle.  NOTE:  Unless prior arrangements have been made with a Fleet Vehicle Officer, keys must be signed out at the University Police Station when the scheduled departure time is outside of regular Fleet Vehicle office hours.  All vehicles will remain located at the Campus Services Building.

Persons utilizing university vehicles are prohibited from transferring vehicles between themselves. If the reserved vehicle is not used, it is to be returned immediately.

Once travel is complete, return vehicle to the Campus Services Building with a full tank of gas.  During Fleet Vehicle Office hours, use the campus fuel pumps located directly behind the Campus Services Building.  Insert the vehicle ProKey (attached to vehicle key ring) and follow pump directions to dispense fuel.  For after hours fueling, the closest gas station is located at the corner of Ohio Street and Third Avenue.  Use the credit card in the key ring pouch.  Each vehicle has a specific PIN# located on the instruction card on the outside flap of the key pouch.  Retrieve receipt and tuck it into an inside flap of the key pouch.  This latter procedure should be repeated for longer trips when driver is unable to return to the Campus Services Building for fueling.

Always return vehicle and keys to the Campus Services Building.  Park vehicle in designated spot.  A key drop box is located on the left side of the building where keys, a completed key sign-out sheet, and all gas receipts are to be deposited after office hours.

Policy - Rates & Charges

Click here for Fleet Vehicle Rates & Charges

Nonavailability Notice

Upon request, if a vehicle is not available, the fleet vehicle office will email a nonavailability notice which entitles the driver to the full business mileage reimbursement rate set by the Department of Administration. This email must be attached to the driver’s travel expense report.

Policy - Accident

Vehicle Incident

Vehicles have a "Vehicle Incident" kit in the glove compartment which contains forms and instructions for reporting any accident. In case of an accident involving a state-owned vehicle, the driver of the vehicle must:

  • Report the accident promptly to the local law enforcement agency and obtain a copy of the officer’s report.
  • Contact your supervisor and fleet manager as soon as practical and report the accident.
  • Within 24 hours of the accident, submit a completed and signed Vehicle Accident Report to your supervisor.

In the Event of Serious Bodily Injury

During work hours, call the agency fleet manager at 920/424-3466
After hours and on weekends call University Police at 920/424-1212

Reporting Other Vehicle Problems

Please notify agency fleet manager or dispatcher as soon as practical of any problem(s) with the vehicle that you think might be a safety or liability hazard.

Coverage - General Information

The state provides accident protection for state employes acting within the scope of their employment and for all state vehicles.
Collision protection covers state vehicle collisions with other vehicles, property, or animals, and vehicle overturns.
Comprehensive protection covers other state vehicle damage including fire, water, and vandalism.
Liability protection covers negligent acts of state employes while acting within the scope of their employment (s.895.46, Wis. Stats.).
Medical and hospital expenses are paid for all state employes in work status. Worker’s compensation provisions apply.

Policy - Other than Fleet Pool Vehicles

Personally-Owned Vehicles Used for State Business

Medical and hospital expenses for state employes are provided. Worker’s compensation provisions apply.
No coverage is provided for vehicle repairs to an employe’s vehicle. Owner is responsible for repairs. Driver should report accident to his/her insurance company.
Repairs to other vehicles involved in an accident are also the responsibility of the employe. However, the state provides protection when the owner’s liability coverage is exhausted.

Department Vehicles

Some vehicles are "owned" by university departments. Requirements and policies regarding use for official state business and driver clearance are the same as for fleet vehicles stated above.



Document Actions
October 2012 »