You are here: Home > Types of Aid > Grants


Grants are funds provided by federal, state or private sources that do not need to be repaid, provided that the enrollment period is completed. Grants are awarded based on a financial need and usually require filing the FAFSA in order to be considered.

Non-Wisconsin residents should contact their states' higher education agencies for any possible state specific aid. Higher education agencies listing by state can be found online through the Department of Education.


Program Eligibility Application

Federal Pell Grant

  • Undergraduate student

  • First bachelor’s degree

  • Must be enrolled full-time to receive full amount

  • Prorated based on actual enrollment at time of disbursement

  • Awarded maximum of 600%


Federal SEOG Grant

  • Must be Pell Grant eligible

  • Undergraduate student

  • Must be enrolled at least half-time (6 undergrad credits)


Wisconsin Grant -- (former name= Wisconsin Higher Education Grant (WHEG))

  • Undergraduate student

  • Wisconsin resident

  • Must be enrolled at least half-time (6 undergrad credits)

  • Awarded maximum of 10 semesters


WI TIP Talent Grant

  • Undergraduate student

  • Wisconsin resident

  • Must be nominated as a freshman by the Financial Aid Office or counselors of the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Programs (WEOP)

  • Must be enrolled at least half-time (6 undergrad credits)


Contact Wisconsin Education Opportunity Center

Indian Student Assistance Grant

  • Undergraduate and graduate students

  • Wisconsin resident

  • At least 25% Native American

  • Awarded maximum of 10 semesters


File Indian Student Assistance Application

WI Hear/Visual Handicap Grant

  • Undergraduate students

  • Wisconsin resident

  • Severe or profound hearing or visual impairment

  • Must be enrolled at least half time

  • Awarded maximum of 10 semesters


File Hearing & Visually Handicapped Student Application

WI AOP Graduate Grant

  • Graduate students (full- or part-time)

  • Traditionally underrepresented persons of color or non-minority disadvantaged persons


Contact the Graduate Studies office

Federal BIA Indian Grant


File any forms required by the tribe.

WI DVR Voc Rehab Grant

  • Students with physical and/or psychological handicap may be eligible


Contact local DVR office or write to:

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)


201 East Washington Ave.

P.O. Box 7852

Madison, WI 573707-7852

Nonresident Fee Remission

  • Undergraduate or graduate students

  • Non-resident of Wisconsin

  • Remits part or all of non-resident tuition


American Indian Graduate Center Fellowships

  • Graduate students

  • An enrolled member of federally recognized tribe

American Indian Graduate Center

4520 Montgomery Blvd

NE Suite 1B

Albuquerque, NM 87109

Lawton Undergraduate Minority Retention Grant (LUMRG)

  • Undergraduate minority students

  • Wisconsin residents

  • US Citizen or permanent resident
  • Completed 24 credits


Complete LUMRG Application

Veterans' Part Time Study Grant

  • Widows and minor dependents of deceased wartime veterans who would have been eligible for the Veterans' Part time Study Grant

  • Awarded as a reimbursement after the semester is completed

Apply at the County Veterans' Service Office

Minnesota-Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity

  • Minnesota residents attending UW Oshkosh

Visit Higher Educational Aids Board website for more information and application