You are here: Home > Main Navigation > Process > Eligibility


In order to receive most types of federal financial aid through UW Oshkosh's Financial Aid Office, students must meet the following requirements:

  • Be admitted to a degree-seeking program and be enrolled in 6 credits for undergraduates or 4.5 credits graduate work (half-time status) at UW Oshkosh. (Note: Pell Grant can be received by students enrolled in less than 6 credits, however, the student must be degree-seeking). However, you can still apply for financial aid even if you are not yet admitted or enrolled.  Also note, the Financial Aid Office will also cancel financial aid if a student fails to attend the required minimum number of credits to be eligible for financial aid.

  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate.

  • Meet one of the following citizenship criteria:

    • U.S. citizen

    • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain’s Island)

    • U.S. permanent resident

    • Have “refugee”, “asylum granted”, “Cuban-Haitian entrant, status pending”, or “conditional entrant”

  • Have a valid Social Security Number.

  • Register with the Selective Service if you are male between 18 and 25 years of age.

  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress once in school.

  • Certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant.

  • Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.

Note: if you already have a bachelor's degree, you are only eligible for loans and work-study aid. This includes students in double major or dual degree programs who have already met the requirements for one of their majors or degrees and are continuing their education toward the additional major or degree. Students who have completed all degree requirements for their degree but have not received their degree can receive financial aid for one additional semester from the time the determination is made. If the student does not graduate after this additional semester, he/she is no longer eligible for financial aid.

For Dual Enrollment information, click here.