You are here: Home > FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions


Click on the question to open/close the response

Applying for Aid


When should I apply?

If you are seeking aid for 2013-2014 academic year, you may file the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) until June 30, 2014 (for UW Oshkosh, by May 1, prior to the end of spring term).

UW Oshkosh priority date is March 15th annually to maximize your awards.


Can I apply after the priority date?

Yes. However, we cannot guarantee that the students who file FAFSA after the priority date will be considered for all types of financial aid due to limited availability of certain funds.


Should I apply for a PIN?

Yes. We strongly encourage our students to file FAFSA online. Therefore, in order to complete the online process, student first must apply for a PIN from U.S. Department of Education. For more information, visit the "Applying for Financial Aid" page.


Do I have to reapply or renew my Financial Aid?

You must reapply for financial aid every year you are planning to attend UW Oshkosh and receive financial aid.


Will my Financial Aid be renewed after freshman year?

You must reapply for financial aid each year. You will receive aid application renewal information and instructions in December/January of each year. Your aid "package" may vary depending on the funds available in individual aid programs.


What if I need help filling out my FAFSA application?

Our staff will be happy to assist you with filling out your FAFSA application. Please call to make an appointment and bring all of the required documents.


What is the difference between dependent and independent students?

The basic philosophy of federal and state need-based financial aid is that students and their families have the first responsibility toward meeting educational expenses. A major issue in the determination of financial resources is the dependency status of students: are they considered to be dependent upon their parents or are they independent (e.g self-supporting)? The criteria used to make this determination will include:

  • Age of Student
  • Veteran's status of the student
  • Student's status as a graduate or professional student
  • Student's marital status
  • Student's status as an orphan or ward of the court
  • Legal dependents of student other than a spouse

The FAFSA asks specific questions related to the above criteria, which will in turn determine the student's dependency status. If the student is determined to be dependent, a parental contribution is calculated from the financial information reported by the parents. This information will include, but not be limited to, income, assets, family size, number in college and age of older parent. Large portions of the parental income and assets are protected by offsets in the determination of the parental contribution. If the student is determined to be independent, then the resources of the student and spouse (if applicable) are used in the financial aid eligibility determination.

Since the majority of students enrolled in both the MBA and MSIS programs are working adults, most receive tuition reimbursement from their employer. If you are not certain about the benefits available, please check with your human resources department.

Students are eligible for loans and possibly other types of financial aid. 


Can I get financial aid for a study abroad program?

Students may be eligible for study abroad financial aid. Please see the "Study Abroad" page for more information.



Receiving Financial Aid


Is my financial aid award the same as my account statement?

No. The Financial Aid Office sends you a financial aid award postcard stating that your financial aid package is ready. The postcard directs you to your TitanWeb account, which lists grants, loans or work-study that you are eligible to receive. Your UW Oshkosh account statement is sent to you by the Student Accounts Office. This statement is the actual amount you owe the University. Financial aid awards received by the Financial Aid Office are applied directly to the charges listed on your account statement, usually during the first month of the term. You are responsible for paying any amount not covered by these awards.


Why did I receive a revised financial aid e-mail?

If you receive an e-mail, then something has changed with the amount of financial aid you are being awarded. Carefully review your TitanWeb account.


I have not received my financial aid award notice. What should I do?

Check your UW Oshkosh e-mail account for notification from the UW Oshkosh Financial Aid Office and/or check your TitanWeb account. In addition, please review your Student Aid Report (SAR). If no mistakes were indicated on the SAR and you had applied over one month ago, please contact the Financial Aid Office.


Why did my financial aid award change?

Your award may have changed if you requested different aid amounts than listed on your previous award or received a scholarship. Please log in to your TitanWeb account to see any changes to your financial aid.


My financial aid is contingent on receipt of additional documents or information as noted on the award notification. Does that mean my financial aid award could change?

It is possible that your financial aid award will change. You may receive an e-mail or letter which will direct you a "to-do list" on your TitanWeb account. There, you will be able to see which documents or information you must submit to the Financial Aid Office before we can determine your award for the academic year. If these documents reflect different information than previously reported to the Financial Aid Office, your award will be reevaluated.


What if my financial situation suddenly changes?

If you or your parents (for dependent students) experience a change in financial situation, you can request that the Financial Aid Office reevaluate your aid eligibility. We will ask that you complete a form describing the change and provide some form of substantiating documentation. Common situations that are considered include loss of employment, reduction in income, medical/dental expenses, divorce and death. If you are not sure about your particular situation, make an appointment with a financial aid counselor.


My parent (PLUS) loan was denied. How can I apply for more financial aid?

If your PLUS loan was denied, please send us a copy of your denial notice and a request for a specific amount you wish to borrow. You can also drop off the documents at our office in person.


When do I receive financial aid?

The funds for financial aid usually are disbursed a few days before a semester starts. Since the money comes in batches, we cannot tell you the exact date. However, you can check your TitanWeb account to see if money have been applied to your student account. Please see instructions on how to check your TitanWeb account on the "Receiving Financial Aid" page.


How does financial aid get disbursed?

Financial aid is disbursed electronically into a student's account at UW Oshkosh. For more information, visit the "Paying Your Bills" page.


Why do I need to complete Loan Entrance Counseling?

Federal regulations require that all first-time borrowers in the Stafford Loan and Perkins Loan Programs must complete loan entrance counseling prior to receiving any loan funds. The entrance counseling session provides useful tips and tools to help you develop a budget for managing your educational expenses and helps you to understand your loan responsibilities.  Note - all student borrowers are required to complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling for the 2010-2011 academic year.



How can I find out whether my financial aid came in?

If financial aid came in and has been applied to your account, you will see the transactions on your TitanWeb account. See instructions on how to check your TitanWeb account on the "Receiving Financial Aid" page. If you have more questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office.


What if I am enrolled less than half-time?

In order to receive federal financial aid, students must be enrolled at least half-time. If you are expecting financial aid and enrolled in less than half-time, the financial aid will not be applied to your account until your enrollment status changes.



Canceling or Changing Your Financial Aid


How do I cancel my financial aid at UW Oshkosh?

There are a couple of options:

  • If you are planning to withdraw from the University all together, please fill out a cancellation form at the Registrar's Office. The rest of the cancellation will be handled through the Registrar's Office.

  • If you are only planning to cancel all or part of your financial aid and the money has not already been disbursed to your account, then please send us a signed and dated request letter about which type of Financial Aid you would like to cancel and its amount(s).


I am transferring. What should I do about financial aid?

You must cancel financial aid at UW Oshkosh (see question above) or the school you are currently attending. If you are planning to receive financial aid at a different school, you are also required to change school code on your FAFSA. Students who have a PIN can make changes to their FAFSA online. Otherwise, call Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 433-3243 or (319) 337-5665. If you are hearing impaired and have questions, please contact the TTY line at (800) 730-8913.



Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

General Questions


What is satisfactory academic progress?

Satisfactory academic progress is defined as proceeding toward successful completion of degree requirements. The UW Oshkosh Financial Aid Office is required by federal regulation to determine whether a student is meeting the requirement. The official record of the UW Oshkosh Registrar is reviewed to determine student compliance with this policy.


What are the requirements for satisfactory academic progress?

Students must meet the following requirements in order to meet satisfactory academic progress and receive financial aid:

  • Achieve minimum cumulative UW Oshkosh GPA of 2.0 or better
  • Complete at least 67% of cumulative credits attempted (for financial aid purposes, any credits in which the student is enrolled after the financial aid census date count as attempted. To view the census date, please view Important Dates
  • Complete program within 150 percent of required credits (180 credits for first-bachelor’s degree students; 225 credits for second-bachelor’s degree students). All graded coursework will be counted, including transfer units, repeats, and withdrawals.


What counts as an attempted credit?

For financial aid purposes, attempted credits are all those that the student is registered for as of the financial aid census date. At this point, students' credits are "locked" for financial aid purposes. This date is different from the last day to add or drop courses as administered by registration.

To view the financial aid census date, please view Important Dates.


How will I know my SAP status?

A letter is sent via email as a courtesy to all undergraduate students after SAP evaluations have occurred. This email directs the students to Titan Web where they may view their SAP status:

  • From your Student Center home page, under the Finances section, click on "View SAP Status"
  • Click on the current term
  • Review your status for each of the SAP requirements listed


Warning Questions


What is financial aid WARNING?

Students are placed on financial aid SAP warning after one semester of not meeting the minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and/or the cumulative credit completion rate of 67%. Students placed on warning must meet all SAP requirements during that semester. If a student does not meet these requirements at the end of the semester, he or she will be ineligible for financial aid for the next semester. Financial aid WARNING cannot be appealed.


Can I still receive financial aid while on warning?

Yes. You may receive federal aid for the semester in which you are on warning if you are otherwise eligible for aid.


I see a hold on my TitanWeb account. Can I still register for classes while on warning?

The hold does not impact your enrollment status. You may still register for classes while ineligible for financial aid.


Why am I not making satisfactory academic progress even though I have no failing grades?

The Financial Aid Office is required to include all credits a student has attempted — including dropped, repeated, reprieved, remedial or withdrawn courses on a transcript — in consideration for financial aid. Although dropping a class may help your GPA, a dropped course after the financial aid census date is still considered as an attempted course for determination of satisfactory academic progress.


How can I return to good SAP standing?

If a student on financial aid WARNING, or one who is not meeting SAP requirements, meets all SAP criteria during the warning or ineligible semester, he or she will return to good SAP standing for the following semester and will again be eligible for financial aid.

Students who have an approved SAP appeal who meet all SAP requirements in the subsequent semester will also return to good SAP standing.


Not Meeting SAP Criteria Questions


What happens if I am not meeting SAP requirements?

Students not meeting SAP requirements will not have future aid disbursed until they are once again meeting SAP requirements.


Is not meeting SAP requirements the same as academic suspension?

No. Academic suspension from the University is monitored by the Undergraduate Advising Resource Center (UARC). If you are unsure of whether or not you are on academic suspension at UW Oshkosh, contact UARC. Financial aid suspension applies only to your federal financial aid.


What aid is affected by not meeting SAP requirements?

All federal and state aid is affected.


I am not meeting SAP requirements but I still see my financial aid award. Does this mean I will receive it?

No. Your financial aid award will be canceled before the beginning of the semester.


SAP Appeal Questions


How can I regain eligibility for financial aid?

You must submit a completed satisfactory academic progress appeal form. This appeal should address the following:

  • WHAT issue caused you to not meet SAP standards?
  • WHEN did the issue occur?
  • HOW is the issue being resolved?
  • WHY will this not be an issue again in the future?

It is HIGHLY recommended that you submit supporting documentation with your appeal. Failure to provide this information may result in your appeal being denied.


Do I have to be admitted or enrolled to appeal my financial aid?

No. You do not have to be currently admitted or enrolled to appeal your financial aid suspension.


Can I appeal my financial aid suspension if I am on academic probation or suspension?

No. If you are academically suspended from UW Oshkosh, you cannot appeal your federal aid suspension. Once you have been academically reinstated to UW Oshkosh, you may submit an appeal for your federal aid suspension.


How is my appeal decision determined?

Once you have submitted all required appeal documentation, your appeal is considered by the Financial Aid SAP Appeals Committee. All decisions reached by the committee are final.


How will I be notified of the committee's decision?

A notification of the committee's decision will be sent to your Titan e-mail address.


When will I be contacted by the committee?

Please allow up to 2 weeks after submitting an appeal for initial contact from the SAP appeal committee.



Direct Lending


Why is UW Oshkosh moving from FFELP to the Federal Direct Student Loan program?

Since many banks are no longer servicing student loans and/or are restricting who will receive loans, UW Oshkosh has made the pragmatic decision to switch to the Federal Direct Student Loan program. The University has determined that the Direct Loan program was a better option for students for a number of reasons:

  • Funding is secure. Direct Loans go through the U.S. Department of Education, and the funds come directly from the U.S. Treasury.

  • Fees and interest rates are more favorable. Participating in this program is not only more secure, but many of the fees and rates are more favorable.

  • Processing is streamlined. Unlike working with private lenders, direct loans allow students to:

    • Borrow from one source — the U.S. Department of Education.

    • Complete one electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN) via the Department of Education website.

    • Communicate with one entity regarding loan concerns — the Department of Education where these federal loans are made, guaranteed and serviced.

  • Consolidation Loans exist. The program will allow and help students consolidate their student loan debt. Many private lenders in Federal Family Education Loan Program have discontinued doing loan consolidation.


What is different between the William D. Ford Federal Direct Student Loan Program and FFELP?

The primary difference between the Federal Direct Student Loan program and FFELP is the source of the loan funding. In the FFELP program, the lender, guarantor and servicer can involve any combination of banks, financial institutions and agencies across the country. Direct loans are made, guaranteed and serviced by the U.S. Department of Education, offering students one single source of contact.


When will these changes take place?

Direct Lending will begin for the 2010/2011 school year.


Which loans are affected by the change to the Federal Direct Student Loan Program?

Only the Stafford, Parent PLUS and Graduate PLUS loans are affected by this change. The Perkins and Nursing loans, as well as short-term and alternative loans, are not affected.


Will the interest rates and fees change?

Yes. Fees and interest rates for the Federal Direct Loan program are more favorable than the rates for the FFELP.

  • Federal Direct Loan fees are the same for all borrowers. When working with private lenders, these fees vary by lender and guarantor.

  • Federal Direct Loans have lower origination fees than their private lender counterparts, and that means more money to students up front.

  • All funds are received electronically, which means no paper checks and no delays in the disbursement of funds.

  • Interest rates for Federal Direct Loans and the Federal Family Education Loan Program are the same for federal student loans; however, they are lower in the Federal PLUS Loan program.

Direct Loan Program
Interest Fees*
Subsidized Federal Direct Loan (for undergraduates only) 4.5% 0.5%
Subsidized Federal Direct Loan (for all other students) 6.8% 0.5%
Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan 6.8% 0.5%
Federal Direct PLUS or Graduate PLUS Loan 7.9% 2.5%
FFEL Loan Program
Subsidized Stafford Loan (for undergraduates only) 4.5% 0.5 - 1.5%
Subsidized Stafford Loan (for all other students) 6.8% 0.5 - 1.5%
Unsubsidized Stafford Loan 6.8% 0.5 - 1.5%
Parent or Graduate PLUS Loan 8.5% 3.0 - 4.0%


*Direct Loan Fee Rebate: Effective July 1, 2010, the Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans have a 1.0% origination fee and also offer a .5% rebate on the origination fee — resulting in a net fee of .5%, which will be deducted from the gross amount of the loan borrowed. Once you enter repayment, if you make your first 12 monthly payments on time, the rebate becomes permanent. If you fail to make 12 on-time monthly payments; however, a charge for the initial rebate will be added to the outstanding balance of the loan.

Effective July 1, 2010, the Federal Direct PLUS Loan has a 4% origination fee and also offers a 1.5% rebate on the origination fee — resulting in a net fee of 2.5%, which will be deducted from the gross amount of the loan borrowed. The 12 on-time payment rule also applies to the PLUS loan in order to keep the rebate.


Can I still continue to borrow through the same lender as last year?

No. All students borrowing Federal Stafford or Federal PLUS loans for the 2010-2011 school year will be required to borrow through the Federal Direct Student Loan program.


What happens to the loans I borrowed from a previous lender? Will they go into repayment immediately?

No. As long as you remain enrolled at least half-time, your existing loans will not go into repayment. Students have the choice of repaying their FFELP loans according to the terms of repayment agreed to in the promissory note, or they can consolidate their FFELP loans with their Federal Direct Student Loans after they leave school. Consolidation will combine all loans into one payment. For more information about Federal Direct Loan Consolidation, visit


Will I have to sign a new Master Promissory Note (MPN)?

Yes. All students receiving Stafford or PLUS loans for the 2010-2011 school year will be required to sign a new master promissory note (MPN).


How do I apply for Federal Direct Loans?

To apply for Federal Direct Loans for the 2013-2014 school year, students must follow these steps:

  • Fill out your 2013-2014 FAFSA.

  • Complete all document requests from the Financial Aid Office.

  • Receive and Accept/Decline your Financial Aid Award through TitanWeb.

  • Complete online Entrance Counseling.

  • Sign a new Master Promissory Note.


How do the Direct Loan repayment options differ from FFELP?

With the exception of one, all repayment options offered to FFELP borrowers are also available for Direct Loan Borrowers. There are five repayment options available for Direct Loans:

1.    Standard
2.    Extended
3.    Graduated
4.    Income Contingent Repayment
5.    Income-based Repayment


Who can I contact if I have questions about Direct Loans?

Call the U.S. Department of Education Direct Loan Program customer service line at (800) 848-0979 or visit the following websites:

General Direct Student Loan Information:

General Direct PLUS Loan Information:





What if I am planning to take classes outside of UW Oshkosh?

You may be eligible for financial aid for taking classes outside of UW Oshkosh. General guidelines require for the classes to be transferable to UW Oshkosh and count towards your degree. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office.


Where can I find answers to my general financial aid questions, unrelated to UW Oshkosh?

Visit the FinAid! website. Also, you may find other financial aid guide resources listed on our "Resources" page useful.


Do I report financial aid to IRS?

We encourage students and parents to consult with a professional tax specialist about the questions regarding income taxes and reportable income. The following are some general guidelines:

  • Loans: Student and PLUS loans are not reported on the taxes. However, your paid student loan interest may be tax deductible. Consult a professional tax specialist or visit IRS website for more information.

  • Work Study: Work study counts as income if a student worked and received work-study wages, which results in a W-2 form sent to a student by his/her employer.

  • Scholarships and Grants: amounts used for expenses other than tuition and course-related expenses (for example, room, board, travel, etc.) must be reported as income. See Form 1040 instructions book (page 19) or IRS website for more information.


Who should I contact if I have more questions?

If you have more questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office.