Christopher Todd Edwards
78 15th St.
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
AREAS OF INTEREST IN STATISTICS
- Combinatorics and Probability
- Sports Statistics
- 1987-1991 Ph.D. in Statistics, Montana State University. August 1991. Dissertation Title: The Combinatorial Theory of Single-Elimination Tournaments. Dissertation Director: Dr. Warren Esty.
- 1984-1985 M.S. in Statistics, Montana State University, June 1985.
- 1981-1984 B.S. in Mathematics (Statistics option), Montana State University, June 1984. GPA: 3.47. Completed four-year program in three years. Averaged 20 credits per quarter.
- 1997-present Associate Professor of Mathematics, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, Oshkosh, WI.
- 1991-1997 Assistant Professor of Mathematics, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, Oshkosh, WI. Courses taught include Introduction to Statistics, Calculus, Mathematical Statistics, and other mathematics and statistics courses.
- 1987-1991 Graduate Teaching Assistant, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
- 1984-1985 Graduate Teaching Assistant, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
Practice & Consulting
- 1985-1991 Mathematical Statistician, Internal Revenue Service, Washington, D.C.
Full time employment, 1985-1987, in Washington, D.C.
Half time employment, 1987-1991, in Bozeman, MT
Duties included developing and implementing improvements to workload selection systems, designing and monitoring sampling projects, and applying statistical methodology to various functions of the IRS. Started at GS-9. Promoted to GS-11 after one year and to GS-12 after two years.
- 1988-1991 Statistical Consultant, Statistical Consulting Service, MSU, Bozeman, MT.
As part of a seminar on statistical consulting, responsible for meeting with clients, and advising them on appropriate statistical practice.
- American Statistical Association member (since 1987)
- Mathematical Association of America (since 1992)
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- "Baseball's Earned Run Average: What Kind of an Average Is It?" published in Chance, spring 1994 issue.
- "Double-Elimination Tournaments: Counting and Calculating" published in The American Statistician, February 1996 issue.
- "'Fair' Batting Averages and Other Applications" published in Mathematics and Computer Education, Spring 1996 issue.
- "A Nonparametric Procedure for Knockout Tournaments" published in Journal of Applied Statistics, June 1998 issue.
- January 2000 Presentation at Joint Mathematics national meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- April 23, 1999 Presentation at MAA annual meeting, La Crosse, WI. Title: A Graphic View of Batting Averages.
- January, 15, 1999 Presentation at Joint Mathematics national meeting, San Antonio, TX. Title: Was My Opponent Too Lucky?
- February 18, 1997 Presentation at St. Norbert College, De Pere, WI. Title: Was My Opponent "Too" Lucky?
- January 11, 1997 Presentation at Joint Mathematics national meeting, San Diego, CA. Title: Was My Opponent "Too" Lucky?
- May 2, 1996 Presentation at Green Lake annual meeting, Green Lake, WI. Title: A Graphic View of Batting Averages.
- April 12, 1996 Presentation at MAA annual meeting, Platteville, WI. Title: Pascal's Triangle in Ordered Single-Elimination Tournaments.
- January 12, 1996 Presentation at Joint Mathematics national meeting, Orlando, FL. Title: A Statistical Exploration of Baseball's Earned Run Average.
- April 9, 1995 Presentation at NCTM national meeting, Boston, MA. Title: The Combinatorics of Knockout Tournaments.
- October 20, 1994 UW Oshkosh Colloquium, Oshkosh, WI. Title: "Fair" Batting Averages and Other Stories.
- October 8, 1994 Presentation at WMC/MAA fall meeting, De Pere, WI. Title: "Fair" Batting Averages.
- April 17, 1994 Presentation at MAA annual meeting, Eau Claire, WI. Title: Testing Hypotheses in Knockout Tournaments.
- October 9, 1993 Presentation at WMC/MAA fall meeting, Oshkosh, WI. Title: Statistics and Counting.
- May 1, 1993 Presentation at Green Lake annual meeting, Green Lake, WI. Title: Double Elimination Tournaments.
- April 17, 1993 Presentation at MAA annual meeting, Menasha, WI. Title: ERA: A Good Way to Measure a Pitcher's Effectiveness?.
- April 24, 1992 Presentation at MAA Annual Meeting, Whitewater, WI. Title: Seeding Knockout Tournaments.
- May 2, 1991 University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Colloquium. Title: Single Elimination Tournaments: Games and Paired Comparisons.
- February 4, 1991 Seminar talk at Montana State University. Title: Single Elimination Tournaments, Part II.
- October 19, 1990 Presentation at Montana Chapter of ASA annual meeting, Helena, MT. Title: Single Elimination Tournaments.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
- Sports and sports statistics
- Computers and computer programming
- Model railroading
Return to Chris' Homepage
Return to UW Oshkosh Homepage