Ph.D. (Geography) 2009
Graduate Certificate in African Studies 2008
M.A. (Geography) 2003
The University of Kansas
Dissertation: Emplacing Displacement: Cultural Landscapes of Refugee-hosting in Ukwimi, Zambia
M.A. Thesis: Critical Geopolitics of African Displacement
Advisor: Garth A. Myers
Research focus: political, cultural, and development geography of Eastern and Southern Africa
B.S. (Geography) 2001
Northwest Missouri State University
Minors: Geographic Information Systems and Computer Science
Assistant Professor – Geography 2008 – present
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Graduate Teaching Assistantship 2001 – 2008
Graduate Research Assistantship 2004 – 2005
The University of Kansas
· International Development, Conflict, & Aid
· Geography of Sub-Saharan Africa
· Political Geography
· Geography of Middle East & North Africa
· World Regional Geography
· Human Geography
· Introduction to GIS/Advanced GIS
· Remote Sensing
Subulwa, Angela G. (in press). Negotiating displacement during the colonial and early independence period along the Zambia-Mozambique border. Historical Geography 40.
Subulwa, Angela G. 2012. Settlement, protracted displacement, and repatriation at Mayukwayukwa in western Zambia. African Geographical Review 31(2): 1 – 15.
Myers, Garth, Francis Owusu, and Angela G. Subulwa. 2012. Cities of Sub-Saharan Africa in Brunn, Stanley, Hays-Mitchell, Maureen, and Zeigler, Don (eds). Cities of the World: World Regional Urban Development 5th edition, p 330 – 379. New York: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
Myers, Garth and Gray, Angela. 2011. Africa - Transnational Organizations in Stoltman, Joseph (ed). 21st Century Geography: A reference handbook, p 603 – 612. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Gray, Angela.2010. Dynamics of forced displacement in Sub-Saharan Africa. Geographische Rundschau International Edition 6(3): 18 – 23.
O’Lear, Shannon & Gray, Angela. 2006. Asking the right questions: Environmental conflict in the case of Azerbaijan. Area 38(4): 390 – 401.
Articles in Review
Subulwa, Angela G. Gendered geographies of forced displacement: Resettlement and repatriation in eastern Zambia. Gender, Place, & Culture. (in review)
Subulwa, Angela G. Protracted refugee spaces: From exclusion to inclusion in western Zambia. Journal of Contemporary African Studies. (in review)
Gray, Angela. 2008. “Virtual migration: The programming of globalization, by A. Aneesh,” Cultural Geographies 15(2): 395 – 396.
Gray, Angela. 2004. “Spying with maps: Surveillance technologies and the future of privacy, by Mark Monmonier,” Cultural Geographies 11 (4): 478 – 479.
“Political Geographies of Zambia’s 2011 Presidential Election,” paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association, February 27, 2012. New York, NY.
Invited Film Discussion Facilitator at Women’s Center, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. April 27, 2011. Film: The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo.
“Repatriation Geographies at Mayukwayukwa Refugee Camp,” paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association, November 19, 2010. San Francisco, CA.
“Creating and contesting nationalities along the Zambian border during Mozambique’s liberation struggle” paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, April 14, 2010. Washington DC.
“Fieldwork in an African setting” panelist at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, April 16, 2010. Washington DC.
“Protracted Refugee Spaces: From Exclusion to Inclusion in western Zambia,” paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, March 22, 2009. Las Vegas, NV.
“Political and Feminist Geographies of Forced Displacement in Africa,” paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, April 16, 2008. Boston, MA.
Invited Guest Speaker at Department of Geography Advisory Board Annual Meeting, University of Kansas. November 17, 2007. Topic: Developing Refuge in Zambia.
“Governing Refuge: Development and refugee-hosting in Zambia,” paper presented at the 50th Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association, October 20, 2007. New York, NY.
“Displacement in Motion: Refugee-hosting & development in Ukwimi, Zambia,” paper presented at the Mid-American Alliance for African Studies Conference, September 29, 2007. Lawrence, KS.
“Spaces of Refuge: Cultural Landscapes of Refugee-hosting and resettlement in Ukwimi, Zambia,” paper presented at the 103rd Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, April 19, 2007. San Francisco, CA.
“Political Ecology of Refugee Hosting in Zambia,” paper presented at the 101th Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, April 5 – 9, 2005. Denver, CO.
Invited Lecturer for Geography of African Development, Department of Geography/Department of African and African-American Studies, University of Kansas. February 15, 17 and March 10, 15, 17. Topics: Globalization & Neoliberalism; Geography of Zambian Development.
Invited Guest Speaker for Introduction to Africa, Department of African and African-American Studies, University of Kansas. February 22, 2005. Topic: Africa’s Human and Physical Geographies.
“Forced Displacement and Environmental Change in Africa: Challenging the Received Wisdom,” paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association, November 11 – 14, 2004. New Orleans, LA.
“Constructing Differences in African Refugee Policy,” paper presented at the 100th Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, March 14 – 19, 2004. Philadelphia, PA.
“African Refugees and the Geopolitics of Constructing Difference,” paper presented at the African Studies Forum sponsored by the Kansas African Studies Center, March 9th 2004. Lawrence, KS.
Invited Lecturer for Africa’s Human Geographies, Department of Geography/Department of African and African-American Studies, University of Kansas. 2 weeks, Spring 2003.
“Critical Geopolitics of African Displacement,” paper presented at the Annual Meeting, Great Plains/Rocky Mountain Region of the Association of American Geographers, October 3, 2003. Manhattan, KS.
GRANTS, HONORS, & SCHOLARSHIPS RECEIVED
· University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Faculty Development Research Grant (2010)
· KU Dissertation Fellowship (2007-2008)
· Ken Lohrentz Graduate Paper Award, Mid-American Alliance for African Studies (2007)
· Fulbright Fellowship to Zambia (2005-2006)
· AAG Dissertation Research Grant (2005)
· Summer Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS) from Michigan State University to study Chinyanja at the Summer Cooperative African Language Institute (SCALI) at Ohio University (2004)
· Association of American Geographers (AAG)
· African Studies Association
· Mid-America Alliance for African Studies
· AAG Specialty Groups: Cultural Geography, Geographic Perspectives on Women, Africa Specialty Group
SERVICE ACTIVITIES AT UW-OSHKOSH
· Enrollment Management Team (2010 – present)
· Employee Assistance Program Advisory Board (2010 – present)
· Advisory Council for Academic Advising (2009 – present)
· Emerging Scholars Program Mentor (2010 – present)
· Faculty Grants & Development Research & Teaching Panelist (2012 – present)
· Geography Department Retention & Recruitment Coordinator (2010 – present)
· McNair Scholar Mentor (2011 – 2012)
· Daniel Raaf Scholarship Committee (2011 & 2012)
· Facilitator for Women’s Center Film Series (2011)
· Diversity and Leadership Conference Planning Committee (2009)
· Odyssey Conversations Volunteer (2010)
· Geography Department Computer Coordinator (2008 – 2011)
· Geographical Bulletin and Gender, Place, & Culture reviewer
Chinyanja – Intermediate reading, writing, speaking, and comprehension
Silozi – Basic reading, writing, speaking, and comprehension