Typos in Physical Chemistry for the Life Sciences, 2e
by Gutow, Jonathan H — last modified Dec 02, 2012 10:16 PM
by Atkins and DePaula
Errors in the Body of the Text
- Page 289, 3rd line from the bottom should read: "• when [A] << Kco, J = jmax[A]/(Kco)"
- Page 411 equation 11.4 should be to the (1/2) power not squared.
End of Chapter Questions
- Exercise 2.25 refers to the exercise 2.24 when it should refer to the resources section.
- E 3.21 the units on the entropy row of the table is messed up. The units should be J/mol/K.
- E 5.18 The product of the reaction should be CH3CH(OH)CO2- there's an extra H in the book.
- E 5.21 It appears the reaction in the question should be 2fd(red) + NADP+ + H+ → 2fd(ox) + NADPH. The text has an extra H+ on the reactant side.
- E 6.35 the correct k(19˚C) = 1.78 x 10-4 M-1s-1 not 1.78 x 104 M-1s-1
Answers to self-tests
- ST1.7: should be -968 kJ/mole glycine
Answers at end of book
- E1.17 should be -8.0 J
- E3.21 For the 5 member chain listed the proper answer appears to be:ΔG = -3.2 kJ/mol; ΔH = -77.3 kJ/mol; ΔS = -245.3 J/mol/K
The melting temperature is OK assuming the same sodium phosphate solution as in the example.
- E7.27a the answer should be 0.018 not 0.18.
- E8.27 a) 9.6 x 102 s = 16 min b) 27 hrs c) 30 yrs
- E9.23 b) 4.98 x 1014 s-1
Errors in Figures
- Figure 4.13 in the bottom row of the figure the ATP → ADP should be ADP → ATP as the phosphate group is released from 1,3-biphosphoglycerate.