Learning Outcomes Environmental Studies 243
In this introduction to nature writing, students will develop the following learning outcomes:
- Students will develop an understanding of American nature writing, its general qualities, its diversity.
- Students will develop an in-depth understanding of two contemporary nature writers.
- Students will develop an understanding of major issues and themes in environmental philosophy and ecospirituality as they appear in American nature writing.
- Students will develop an understanding of social and political views as they are developed by key American nature writers.
- Students will develop their ability to think analytically, critically, and constructively.
- Through the composition and revision of different types of papers, to develop your ability to write with clarity, correctness, incisiveness, and vigor.
- In general class discussion, small discussion groups, peer-editing groups, and an oral presentation, to develop your ability to speak, listen, and question in an effective and cooperative way.