Office: Radford 225
Phone: 424 2260
Office Hours: Tuesdays 1-4pm and by appt.
In addition to being a teacher and scholar, I am also a practicing poet, and I find these academic and creative pursuits to be not only complementary but utterly integral to one another. As a consequence, in my teaching I encourage students to infuse their academic thinking and writing with creativity wherever possible, to aspire to a kind of artistry in even their scholarly pursuits. My current book projects are an academic monograph--Shadows of Futurity: Yeats, Auden, and the Poetics of Utopia, which examines both the motif of utopia and the theorization of poetry as a utopian practice in the work of W.B. Yeats and W.H. Auden--and a second poetry collection, tentatively entitled Game.
- PhD, University of Toronto, English 2012
- MA, University of New Brunswick, English and Creative Writing, 2006
- BA (Hons.) University of Victoria, English, 2003
Research and Teaching Interests:
- Modern and Contemporary British and Irish Literature
- Twentieth-Century Poetry and Poetics
- Utopian Studies
- Critical Theory
- ENG 365-565 Modern British Fiction: Love and War in the Modern British Novel
- ENG 225 Modern British Literature
- ENG 165 Modern British Literature (Quest 1)
- "Love and Other Gods: Personification and Volition in Auden's Poetry." Twentieth-Century Literature (academic article forthcoming), 2013
- Review of John Ashbery and English Poetry by Ben Hickman. Review of English Studies 264 (2013).
- Questions in Bed (poetry collection), 2012