Fire Safety: General Information
If you see fire or smoke in your immediate area, use the RACE acronym as a guide:
- R = Remove anyone in immediate danger. Advise students, staff and visitors to evacuate the building. Evacuate the building via the closest exit doors located away from the fire. Do not use elevators. Assist handicapped individuals to the nearest stairwell landing and advise police and/or firemen of their location. Move well away from the building (500 feet is recommended).
- A = Activate the fire alarm. Pull the nearest fire alarm station. Call the University Police at 424-1212 to report the location of the fire/smoke and any other pertinent information. If the call can not be made safely from the building, call as soon as you find a safe place.
- C = Confine and contain. Close all doors as you leave the building. Do not lock the doors.
- E = Extinguish. Only if you know the location of a nearby extinguisher and can do so without endangering your safety.
If you hear a fire alarm:
- You must evacuate the building. Ensure that all present in your area also evacuate.
- Shut off your room lights and close the door. Do not lock the door.
- Take your backpack, briefcase, purse and coat with you. Do not retrieve these items if doing so would delay your evacuation.
- Evacuate the building via the nearest fire exit and remain well away from the building (at least 500 feet), until informed by a University Police officer that you may re-enter.