At least six well-documented facts underscore the need to enhance extramural support of research at UW Oshkosh:
1. Research informs, invigorates, and is integral to high quality teaching.
2. Active participation in research provides undergraduates with myriad unique and invaluable hands-on experience not available in the classroom or even laboratory courses.
3. Research by faculty and staff advances theoretical knowledge and the reputation of those faculty and UW Oshkosh
4. High quality, state-of-the-art research often requires extraordinary levels of financial support and infrastructure that the University cannot provide without extramural support
5. Grantwriting and post-award grant management require considerable amounts of time, effort, and institutional support.
6. Workloads of faculty actively engaged in research can be optimized to
allow them to secure additional extramural support, thus making more efficient
use of their unique talents and interests to better support local and state
economies, the University and the students it serves.
On October 22nd, 2007 Chancellor Wells established an External Grants Expansion Plan (EGEP) Team and charged it with developing a plan to augment external grants on campus. Specifically, the Team will:
* Articulate how the EGEP is vital and integral to UW Oshkosh's Mission
Statement, Vision Statement, Core Values, Governing Ideas, and Strategic
* Ensure that the development of the EGEP remains an open and expansive process
* Establish the necessary framework to structure tactics that will facilitate development of a campus culture that encourages the pursuit of and rewards procurement of extramural support
* Identify and learn from institutions that have recently implemented particularly successful plans to expand support for research
Campus community feedback on and input into this planning process will be critical to its successs. This page is available to provide regular updates regarding activities of the Team. Please consider contributing to the discussion by taking a brief survey that will help identify strategies to enhance research on campus. The survey is available at: http://www.uwosh.edu/surveys/egep/
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Dr. Michael Briley, Chair, EGEP Team, 7104.
The Exernal Grants Expansion Team is delighted to announce the second year of the UW Oshkosh University Research Professor/Associate Professor program. Details are available in the program announcement below (including the application process). A major difference from the first year is that the project narrative need no longer be in the format of the target agency.