Where does the time go?

Jason SchiltzJason Schiltz, 38, is a Bachelor’s of Liberal Studies Organizational Administration student from Appleton, Wis. Schiltz was inspired to go back to college in 2009 by his wife, who also completed a Bachelor’s of Liberal Studies in Organizational Administration from UW Oshkosh. Schiltz said he also hopes to motivate his three young children to continue their education.

Last semester I enrolled in Psychology 101. I absolutely loved the class, and I highly recommend it, whether it is required for your degree or not.

There is one nuance that I was not entirely prepared for, though; I was required to participate in four credits worth of studies—psych studies. Now these studies could vary from memory studies to eating habits, but each study had specific requirements students had to meet to participate.

Requirements could be as simple as being a student or as specific as being a certain gender between the ages of 18 and 25. My professor announced the study requirement at the beginning of the course, making it abundantly clear that if you did not participate in four credits worth of studies you would fail. If you had a perfect 100 percent on all four exams and only three study credits, you failed…cut and dry.

I reviewed the available studies, on occasion, never really finding anything that interested my discerning palette. About four weeks from the end of semester, I began paying a little more attention to what studies were available, but nothing appealed to me. The following week I began to panic, I couldn’t find a study that I qualified for. It didn’t matter what the studies were about, I just wanted to get my four credits in.

Two weeks out and one popped up that I would get three credits for; I signed up immediately. For the fourth and final credit, I would have volunteered for just about anything, and there was nothing I could find. By the end of that week, one study appeared for two credits; one study – two credits – one timeslot, and it was mine! I assure you, there are very few times in my life that I felt such relief.

There are a plethora of details and even more excuses I could provide in this little story, but the point of this semi-coherent blathering is don’t wait. Plan ahead, get your work done and put the stress behind you.

Nontrads have enough stressors already, don’t add to them. If you have difficulty planning and you need help, PLEASE, ask someone…ask me (I can tell you what not to do, most assuredly), ask one of the beautiful people we call academic advisers, or ask your professor/instructor. Just ask somebody. As nontrads, our time is not always OUR time and little things can become big problems for your academic career.

1 Response to “Where does the time go?”

• Great piece of advice, Jason. Another set of people to ask for help in planning are the instructors in the Reading Study Center. They are teaching planning all the time, and have great ideas. But your peers truly have fabulous first hand, real time experience!

Thanks for sharing.