Living the brand

At UW Oshkosh, anticipation and excitement hang in the air at the start of each new academic year. For those of us who work here, the joyful return of students each September reminds us all about why we have chosen to work in higher education.

For the first time this fall, I experienced the process of moving a child into a residence hall at one of our sister UW System schools. It is, indeed, a real transition for the whole family.

It got me thinking—again—about how important it is to be a strong, consistent branded institution dedicated to quality education. It also got me thinking about how crucial it is that all of us who work at UW Oshkosh shouldn’t just talk the talk … we have to walk the walk. We need to strive for excellence and offer opportunity in all we do.

Because I know now what it is like to be on the other side as a parent, I am trying to be extra mindful of how I represent our brand, striving to be helpful and positive in my everyday interactions with students, alumni and their families.

I am truly inspired, though, by how so many of my colleagues here at UWO truly live our brand, both personally and professionally.

UW Oshkosh news in just the last few days highlights that our faculty and staff members are dedicated not only to their own professional development through research and teaching (see all the amazing award winners from Opening Day) but also through their commitment to our students and the community.

We don’t just offer state-of-the-art facilities, like the fabulous new Horizon Village. Many go the extra mile to help move students into the halls over Labor Day weekend and to help make them feel safe and comfortable.

We also are doing our part in the community. Two recent examples show the breadth of our impact. In one effort, we just learned that the EPA is granting UWO $1 million to redesign eight Wisconsin beaches to reduce bacteria levels.

Meanwhile, our own Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Petra Roter is serving as the president of the Oshkosh Area United Way Board of Directors, as it celebrates its 50th year.

Living the brand truly seems to come naturally to the UW Oshkosh community.

Here’s to another awesome school year!

0 Responses to “Living the brand”

Comments are currently closed.