Last week we had a fantastic Champion Chat on Social Media. Sadly, the room was a little too full of people, but that is a good problem to have! Zack, the new IMC Social Media intern, gave a great overview on some basic social media tools as well as some ideas on how to better collaborate on campus. Here are some of the suggestions:
- Creating a common social hashtag, i.e: #UWOSH
- Subscribing and contributing to the UW-Social Media List by emailing email@example.com
- Keeping our accounts fresh and active, while one compliments the other through actions like, Re-Tweeting, hash-tag collaboration and using @Mentions. Posting on other UW Oshkosh Facebook walls
- Encouraging others to formally @Mention your organization (i.e: @UWOshkosh)
- Using practical desktop and mobile applications to track and manage our following (i.e: TweetDeck)
- Staying connected to the UW-Social directory.
- Examine and evaluate your follower data, trends and conversations using tools such as Social Mention, iGoogle or NetVibes.
The turnout for the meeting certainly showed that campus is very interested in learning more about social media, and learning how we can collaborate more. With that, the goal is to find a more regular venue for campus to come together on this topic. We’ll keep you posted as this develops more.