First Two Weeks Fly By

Vanessa Howe’s Spanish teacher, who shared her passion for Spanish and education to her class, inspired Vanessa to become a teacher.  Howe, a Secondary Education Spanish major, from Pardeeville, Wi, will be student teaching Spanish at Oshkosh West High School for nine weeks and then moving to Shattuck Middle School, Neenah, for another nine weeks.

Howe is excited to have her own classroom to relay her passion for the language and education with her students, and strives to be as great an educator as her own Spanish teacher. Follow along, as she shares her experience throughout the semester.

The first two weeks have flown by in my student teaching experience.  It was exciting to meet my students on their first day back of their second semester.   I spent the first three days observing my cooperating teacher and familiarizing myself with the school.  My cooperating teacher has been nothing short of helpful.  She offers great advice to me and explains reasons for each and every lesson.  She asked me to begin teaching short lessons on Friday of my first week, and even though I was nervous to do so, I accepted the challenge.  My first activity was only five to ten minutes long, and I don’t remember much about it except for my nerves!  My students were great though and after it was all over I felt an incredible rush.  It felt natural to be up in front of a class again.  I have been teaching in my classroom everyday and gaining more and more confidence with each lesson.  My students are enthusiastic and understanding that I am learning along with them.

My cooperating teacher also introduced me to all of her colleagues in the foreign language department.  They have also been very welcoming and helpful, offering me lots of helpful resources to teach all levels.  They have also allowed me to visit their classrooms to learn from all of their teaching styles.   I appreciate everything about my experience, and I truly believe the best of it is yet to come!

0 Responses to “First Two Weeks Fly By”