Applying classroom learning to real world experience in the Dept. of Corrections

Charity Rudolph is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, graduating in May 2012 with a bachelor’s degree in Human Services Leadership. She and her fiancé have four kids and right now she stays home while finishing the online Human Services Leadership program.

This semester I’m interning with the Department of Corrections. Interning with the Department of Corrections is of interest to me because I feel it will offer some challenges in applying what I have learned in my classes to real world life experience. I feel that victims of crime often need help addressing the injustices they have experienced.

The Department of Corrections promotes public safety through supporting positive change in the lives of their clients. Positive change occurs in the lives of their clients by managing the offenders risk by holding them accountable for their actions and supporting law-abiding behavior. When treating all people with respect, fairness and understanding, people can change if they believe in themselves. Parole and probation services are interesting because they promote and maintain a positive, safe and healthy community environment. These services are a viable means to affect a positive change within our community.

1 Response to “Applying classroom learning to real world experience in the Dept. of Corrections”

• Hi Charity,

It is nice to put the name and face together. Thank you for sharing your
    experience in this format. I was especially moved by your final observation referencing probation and parole services…”These services are a viable means to affect a positive change within our community.”

Best wishes in your final semester and beyond.

Annette