Ready to Teach

Vanessa Howe

Vanessa Howe’s Spanish teacher, who shared her passion for Spanish and education to her class, inspired Vanessa to become a teacher.  Howe, a Secondary Education Spanish major, from Pardeeville, Wi, will be student teaching Spanish at Oshkosh West High School for nine weeks and then moving to Shattuck Middle School, Neenah, for another nine weeks.

Howe is excited to have her own classroom to relay her passion for the language and education with her students, and strives to be as great an educator as her own Spanish teacher. Follow along, as she shares her experience throughout the semester.

In order to prepare for my placement, I attended the group orientation January 5th.  The meeting was helpful and overwhelming at the same time.  A lot of the information was new to me and forced me to realize what an intense journey I was about to embark on.  It only seemed like yesterday we were all sitting in the student teaching application meeting in September.  I can’t believe how fast the semester flew by and that student teaching will begin in a week.   I think I can speak for most of my classmates that I left orientation with a knot in my stomach.  There is a lot to be done, but for now all we can do is wait for our placements to begin.

I met with my cooperating teacher at Oshkosh West High school this last week.  Coming from a high school with 67 people in my class, West might take some getting used to.  My cooperating teacher had a folder for me that included the syllabi for her classes, her expectations and a copy of the student handbook.  I appreciated the folder since everything was made clear from the beginning.  She introduced me to a few colleagues and gave me a tour of the school.  We decided my start date would be January 23, even though the students have off that day. I will attend the professional development program with her and complete this requirement for my professor.

0 Responses to “Ready to Teach”