Internship Spotlight: Nicholas Burge, FreightConnections

Nicholas Burge, Finance and Operations Intern

Obtaining my Intership
I first started looking for internships in the spring semester of 2012.  I had two different companies show interest but they were not what I was looking for.  After searching for the rest of the semester and into the summer, I began to get nervous.  I made an appointment to meet with Jessie Pondell, who was able to give me the names of a few internships that had been contacting her about needing interns.  After researching these companies, I gave her a list of my top choices and she was able to secure an interview with my top pick, FreightConnections.  From there I succeeded in landing the internship and have been at FreightConnections since the start of Fall 2012 semester.
Why I Chose FreightConnections

I was very intrigued by FreightConnections, as the company is only a little over one year old, and they have a new service that I was not aware of.  They help shippers and carriers of all sorts of freight connect directly with each other.  Customers can use our site to build a profile of their company which includes things like what type of freight they ship, what type of trucks they have, etc.  We then use a feature we have called AutoMatch to match shippers with appropriate carriers.  It is an extremely beneficial site and is very easy to use.  Not only was I interested in this kind of service, but I was also interested in the fact that the company was new.  I’ve been able to see and be a part of all aspects of starting a new business such as marketing and sales, and finance and quality assurance.  It’s been a great experience to see what it takes to start a new company.
Responsibilities
I’ve had several different jobs since interning at FreightConnections.  I’ve had to enter new leads into our database, call customers, go through the website and look for problems that need to be fixed, and help with marketing our company.  There really is no “typical day” for me, which is something I really enjoy.
Advice to Future College of Business Students
I’m sure everyone has heard this before, but start looking for an internship early.  I started looking at the beginning of the spring semester hoping to have something by the start of summer, and I was not able to start an internship anywhere until the start of the following semester.  It’s never too early to start looking.  Go to the career fair and networking night.  Join clubs and get involved on campus.  Anything you can do to get your name out there and make business connections is going to be of great help to you in the future.

0 Responses to “Internship Spotlight: Nicholas Burge, FreightConnections”