Categories

Internship Spotlight: Jesse Lallier, Oshkosh Corporation

Jesse Lallier, Supply Chain Management Major

Company Overview

Oshkosh  Corporation was founded in 1917, where it produced four-wheel drive vehicles for the dirt roads of America. This increased transportation and commerce to urban areas helps make us who we are today. Oshkosh Corporation quickly expanded over the years and has recently became a fortune 500 company. Over the last 10-15 years Oshkosh Corporation has had many acquisitions making them very diversified. Currently the company has 10 distinct brands. These are JLG, Oshkosh Defense, Pierce, McNeilus, IMT, Medtec, Frontline Communications, CON-E-CO, London, Jerr-Dan, Oshkosh Airport Products, and Oshkosh Specialty Vehicles. Each line has a distinct product line but the top most familiar ones to the public are Oshkosh Defense, Pierce, JLG and McNeilus. As you can see Oshkosh is trying to expand and capture emerging markets globally. By expanding, they have captured a lot of attention and provided thousands of jobs to Winnebago County as well as around the world.

When Did I Start and How Did I Obtain My Internship?

I started at Oshkosh Defense on June 4, 2012.  The way I received my interview was through Oshkosh Corporation’s online application process.  Michael Godfrey, my advisor at UW Oshkosh, told me to look on their website and apply for a Team Coordinator Co-op position.  After I filled out my application online, it took about 3 months to get a reply back from Oshkosh Defense informing me that I have an interview.  In the interview we went over all my accomplishments, classes I have taken to prepare me for this position, previous experiences, etc. At the end of the interview he told me that he was amazed with what I have all accomplished and that I have received the Team Coordinator position at North Plant.

My Roles

As a Team Coordinator at Oshkosh Defense I have a lot of roles. These roles consist of managing 30-50 union production employees, production planning, safety and quality projects, scheduling, daily reports, time keeping, and payroll. All these roles are equally important and have to be carefully thought out to ensure continuous production, safety, and quality.  The most time consuming aspect of my day would be production planning and managing the 30-50 production employees. This is extremely difficult, but it is the most valuable experience for my future career path once I graduate.

My Future

Throughout my Co-op, Oshkosh Corporation has given me a wide range of experience that will help in any career path that I go into. I currently have one more year of college before I graduate with a Bachelors in Supply Chain Management and an emphasis in Entrepreneurship. With this degree I plan on getting into a supervisor role similar to the one I was in during my Co-op, and then eventually starting my own business after I build up enough capital.

2 Responses to “Internship Spotlight: Jesse Lallier, Oshkosh Corporation”