Internship Spotlight: James (Myles) Teteak, Regus

How I Obtained My Internship

I am currently a Marketing Intern for commercial real estate company, Regus. I actually got my internship with the company through personal networking while giving tours on campus. The Regional Vice President for Regus was on one of my tours and offered to give me a position at the end of the tour.

My internship originally took place in Chicago, and since I had never lived there it was very intimidating going into it. Not only was I going to work in a new city, it is also the third largest city in the country and I would be working right in the middle of downtown. However, I quickly learned my way around and figured out how to use the public transit (trains, buses, etc.).

Getting Started

Once I started getting into the swing of things within the company I did see several areas where I could apply UWO coursework. In fact, QBA was a very vital part of me being able to have success with Regus. After having success in my position this summer, largely because of the skills I learned in QBA, I emailed Dr. Miller to thank him and let him know that his class was a big part of my success.

Regus has not had much interjection of young ideas recently. So when I got there I was able to take a look at things and see some things very differently from the way they had been looked at for so long. I also got the chance to give my insight on certain things. For example, marketing has largely been a weakness of theirs for a while, I was able to come in and offer fresh ideas.

Why I Like it at Regus

The biggest thing I have done so far is I was able to take a large sample of the Chicago market for Regus and use that to create a full marketing plan. I first researched the major verticals, and how they were divided throughout the market. Then I researched local marketing opportunities for each of these verticals. Once I had the entire plan together I presented it to several people, including the Regional Vice President that hired me.

I have really enjoyed my internship so far, and learned a lot of different things within the organization and outside of the organization. The most important thing I have learned though, is how important networking truly can be. I had no clue when I started my tour that day that I was talking to the man that would give me my first full-time job.

0 Responses to “Internship Spotlight: James (Myles) Teteak, Regus”