Name: Joann Noe Cross

Years at UWO: 30.5

Undergrad/Graduate schools:
BS – Math; University of Wisconsin – Madison
PhD – Accountancy; University of Illinois – Urbana

Dissertation Topic: Replacement Cost Accounting under ASR 190

Food you couldn’t live without: Chocolate, the darker the better

Hobbies outside of teaching: Traveling and reading mysteries written by women with a female protagonist. Some of my favorite authors include Donna Andrews, Rita Mae Brown (the Mrs. Murphy cat series), Laura Childs, Cleo Coyle, Yasmine Galenorn, Carolyn Hart and Jane Langton.

Favorite movie: White Christmas – I know all the dialog and songs by heart.

If you weren’t a teacher, what would you be doing: moldering away

Who is your biggest inspiration for teaching? My third grade teacher Ms. Hare.  She taught me how exciting it can be to see the light of understanding in someone’s eyes.  It doesn’t happen often, but it is so energizing when it does.

What is your favorite thing about teaching at UWO? The students are awesome.  They are polite, respectful and won’t take any nonsense.  They push me to be the best I can be at my job and let me know when I am not doing so.

What is your current research focus? The history of women in business and accounting academics.

What is your best piece of advice for current COB students? Expand your horizons.  Don’t just take courses to get through, but learn things that you can use.  Make the most of these years because you will be working your entire life; this is the time to explore.