Eric Svoboda at the Rose Bowl

Name: Eric Svoboda

Age: 33

Current Employer and Position: Plexus Corporation – Dual role as Manufacturing Manager and Lean Sigma Champion

Expected graduation date: May 2012

Favorite class taken or professor at UWO and why it’s your favorite:
Marketing Strategy – The Capstone Simulation is a great way to learn about marketing. You get an opportunity to compete against other teams and develop a strategy that maximizes sales and increases market share while maintaining a solid contribution margin.

Food you couldn’t live without: Steak and potatoes

Hobbies Outside of Class: Golf, playing cards, exercising, camping, traveling

Favorite movie: Usual Suspects

Why did you choose UWO MBA?
I am a strong believer in continuous learning and as an engineer I wanted to learn more about the business aspects of an organization. I felt that getting my MBA would give me the knowledge and skills I needed to help develop others and become a successful leader. I chose Oshkosh because they are AACSB accredited and provided the flexibility I needed as a full-time employee. I live close to Green Bay and work in Appleton, so I can take classes in Oshkosh, Green Bay, or even online depending on my work schedule.

How do you balance work, life and graduate school? That can be a challenge, but it is all about being organized and setting aside time for schoolwork, family, and yourself. Obviously, work or school may demand a larger time commitment at times, so meeting your professional and personal goals will require a certain degree of flexibility. Having the support of your friends and family is also vital to achieving this balance.

What advice do you have for younger COB students or students thinking about pursuing an MBA degree? Don’t be afraid to take the next step toward improving yourself personally and professionally. In addition to learning a lot about the different elements of business, an MBA allows you to meet a lot of great people and learn more about yourself.

Where do you see yourself 10 years from now? I plan to continue learning and challenge myself to tackle new opportunities within Plexus. After taking on other managerial roles over the next 5-10 years, I see myself moving into a General Manager or other leadership position within the company. You never know, I may find my way back to school seeking another master’s degree.