Amy Brecheisen, HR major

Name: Amy Brecheisen

Age: 28

Major/Emphasis/Minor: Human Resources Management

Clubs/Involvement: I was the secretary for the International Business Club last semester (Spring 2011).  Along with my leadership position, I was also on the Public Relations committee for the Global Careers Day. This was a first annual event for the International Business Club and feel that it was a great success. It was of great value for me to see how local businesses place emphasis on globalization and how it can affect my own personal career growth. In the past I have also been a member of Phi Beta Lambda (PBL).

Favorite Class Taken: I can’t believe I am even saying this, but quantitative business analysis (QBA). This particular class was a struggle for me. There were times where I thought the homework was impossible and I struggled to see the big picture. However, Professor Andy Miller is an amazing teacher. He managed to keep the class interesting and hold my attention during lectures. I know a lot of students complain about this class, but it really is the material that’s a challenge, not the professor. Looking back now, I feel a sense of accomplishment and pride in myself. When I have to use something from this class in a real world application I know all my hard work and dedication are paying off.

Food you couldn’t live without: Hands down, coffee.

Hobbies Outside of Class: I am a non-traditional student. I am married with a two-year-old daughter. My family and I spend a great deal of time exploring in state parks and marshes. One of my favorite places is Terrell’s Island, which is located off Lake Butte des Morts. I also am a big photography buff.

Favorite movie: The Twilight Series.

Why did you choose UWO COB? I selected the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, particularly the College of Business, because of the accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB). According to the article I read in the Oshkosh Northwestern last year “about 605 schools of business worldwide…or fewer than five percent” receive this accreditation. I think by earning my degree here at UWO, local employers will hopefully select me over other area graduates.

What is your internship experience and what have you learned from this experience? I am one of the Human Resources Interns at the Business Success Center. I have had the pleasure to complete a variety of tasks while employed by the center. I recruit and interview to help local Fox Valley businesses fill immediate internship and job openings. I work with Intern Coordinator to create HR policies and procedures; recruit employees; and develop orientation and training programs. I also manage personnel records and handle HR generalist workplace issues. I have learned not only a great deal about human resources and our roll in an organization, but I have also learned a great deal about myself. During my time with the center, I have noticeably grown my self-confidence and leadership skills. It has been exciting to watch my own professional growth and development as a result of my internship.

What advice do you have for younger COB students? My number one piece of advice would be you really need to select either a minor or at least an emphasis. This is one thing that I wish I would have learned much earlier in my college career. In selecting one of the two options you are going to make yourself more marketable to employers.

Where do you see yourself 10 years from now? Ten years from now I see myself holding a master’s degree and working towards becoming a Vice President of Human Resources. I would like to think at this point in my career I will also have made a decision on whether or not to pursue law school.