Name: Connor Story

Degree/Major/Graduation year: BBA / Marketing / Fall 2010 Semester (Jan 2011)

Current Employer and Position: Miles Kimball Co. / Internet Marketing Coordinator (As a member of MKC’s Internet Marketing Team, my focus is daily email marketing for all five of MKC’s corporate brands as well as video marketing which has been my largest project going into our seasonal holiday rush.)

Current City: Work in Oshkosh / Live in Neenah

Food you couldn’t live without: I couldn’t live without Peanut Butter J. It’s all that gets me through our long cold winters.

Favorite Hobbies: I’m competitive in Crossfit (don’t ask, just look it up on YouTube), so when I’m not working you’ll find me at Crossfit Appleton, before and after work.  It’s not anywhere close to your typical workout, it’s a blast! You should come check it out.

Favorite movie: I’d have to say Hitch with Big Will… still hasn’t helped.

Favorite class taken or professor at UWO and why: My favorite course at Oshkosh was my Marketing Essentials course with John Depies. My team built a Fat Sandwich company from the ground up.

However, there were so many influential professors- Dr. Alexandrov, Dr. Leisen Pollack, Professor Depies to name a few. If you put the time and effort in listening to what they say and using them as a guide for the next step, they will build you into someone who can honestly be successful straight out of school.

What were you involved in while at UWO (clubs, sports, internships, ect)? At Oshkosh I went through three different internships, all of which came through the UWO Business Success Center.  It’s a great place for any student looking to get their foot into a company.  The people that I worked with at the BSC are the reason that I am in the position I am today. Awesome place and people!!

How did you get your first job after graduation? I started interning in the eCommerce department with Miles Kimball in August of 2010, and I was brought on full time the Monday after graduation.  I got my internship through my network of professors as well as my professional network at the Business Success Center.

How does your current career path differ from your college ideals? My career path is right on line with everything I wanted to do after school. I knew that I wanted to get into the eCommerce side of a business, I just think there’s a bright future with more businesses trying to grow their online sales. There’s a lot of opportunity where I am to dip your toes in many different aspects of online marketing, from Video to Email to SEO to Social Media.  I couldn’t have asked for a better place to land after school.

What is your best piece of advice for current COB students? If I could say anything to anyone, it would be don’t waste the resources that you have at your fingertips. If it means asking your professor to help with their research at some point, or just having them critique your resume, DO IT!  The business program at Oshkosh has so many awesome mentors just waiting to help, but a lot of students hesitate, or feel that things are just going to fall into place.  Sometimes that might be true, but always plan as if it won’t. You need to start building your network as soon as you can, ultimately that is what will get you to exactly where you want to be.

Also, joke around in class a little bit, loosen up, you’ll enjoy school a whole lot more.