Val Pfeiffer and daughter

Name: Valerie Nevitt Pfeiffer

Degree/Major/Graduation year: Finance major, Economics minor, May 1984; MSIS, Project Management emphasis, May 2010

Current Employer and Position: Network Health Plan, Director Web Strategy & Digital Marketing

Current City: Neenah WI

Food you couldn’t live without: Cheeseburgers

Favorite Hobbies: Golf, boating, downhill skiing

Favorite movie: Dodgeball

Favorite class taken or professor at UWO and why: Undergraduate:  Henri Pensis because I enjoyed continuing to play the oboe the first year or two of college.  Graduate: Online favorite was Ben Arbaugh because he taught me everything I know about project management which enabled me to pursue and attain the PMP designation. Classroom favorite was Bill Wresch because he was such an effective classroom discussion leader.

What were you involved in while at UWO (clubs, sports, internships, etc)? I participated in the Finance Club; I worked about 30 hours a week while in school so there wasn’t much time for other activities. A couple years after graduation I was asked to join the COB Business Advisory Board and I continue to be a member of that board today.

How did you get your first job after graduation? I worked at a local bank in Neenah while in school and was able to continue with that organization upon graduation.

How does your current career path differ from your college ideals? I have to admit that I didn’t have much of a career plan while pursuing my undergraduate degree. My career has been interesting and different than anything I could’ve expected and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

What is your best piece of advise for current COB students? While there’s nothing wrong with having a career path or goal in mind, never become so narrowly focused on one possibility that you pass up interesting opportunities that could offer you experiences that aren’t part of your “plan.”