Name: Gary A. Adams

Years at UWO: 15

Undergrad/Graduate schools: I came to UW Oshkosh for the BS. After that I went to Illinois State University for a Master’s and eventually to Central Michigan University for a Ph.D.

Dissertation Topic: Turnover and Retirement: A Comparison of their Similarities and Differences

Food you couldn’t live without:
Pizza or nachos, but maybe we should say broccoli, which I also really like.

Hobbies outside of teaching: Funny you asked. I don t really have one but I have been looking for one. My colleagues have even been trying to help me find a hobby.

Favorite movie: I like all kinds of movies except horror films so it’s hard to pick a favorite. I can tell you that I currently own 4 movies. They are: Crash, Grand Canyon, Forest Gump and Love Actually.

If you weren’t a teacher, what would you be doing: Operations or intelligence management work for a do-gooder organization like Drs without Borders

What brought you to UW Oshoksh?
I grew up in Milwaukee and so did my wife Carmen. As I was finishing graduate school there was a position open here and we thought it was the perfect opportunity. High quality school that was close to family but not too close. We quickly came to enjoy the quality of life and think of this areas as a great place to raise our two sons.

What is your favorite thing about teaching at UWO? I get to work with smart people.

What is your current research focus? I am in the area of HR so I study topics like talent management and employee engagement. Within those topics I study age and generational issues as well as some occupational stress and health issues.

What is your best piece of advice for current COB students? College is a time limited and valuable opportunity for you to learn as much as you can. And, you get to do that in a highly supportive, low risk environment. Make every minute of it count.