For years Holly Brenner (BBA ’99; MBA ’09) juggled a family, a full-time job and studying to complete her MBA part-time. Once she completed her MBA program in 2009, Brenner quickly filled up the extra time by giving back to her community.

The Fond du Lac Family YMCA honored Brenner for her extensive service at its 109th annual meeting earlier this year. Brenner received the Fond du Lac YMCA Volunteer of the Year Award for being a dedicated YMCA board member, marketing committee member and for serving as the chairperson of the annual Strong Kids fundraising campaign.

Brenner says, “I wanted to contribute in a meaningful way to the community in which my husband, Jason, and I are raising our family.”

She jumped at the opportunity to join the YMCA Board of Directors. “I wanted to help the Y continue to be a great place for children and families, including our own, to grow and make healthy memories.” Brenner has averaged about three to four volunteer hours a week for the past two years.

In addition to her work with the Y, Brenner has been involved with the UW Oshkosh COB Alumni board for several years and seized the opportunity to contribute to the MBA Advisory board after graduating. She is also an active member of Service League of Fond du Lac.

As a busy mom of three young children, Brenner knows how hard it can be to balance her family, career and volunteering. ”My advice is to start small and to do something you can feel good about for a cause that you are passionate about.”