My life at UW Oshkosh

Posted by & filed under Blog.

Hello future Titans!

Some of you might recognize me from the video blogs I’ve been in lately. In case you can’t tell, I have a total ball doing them – but I’ve decided to try a little something new in addition to the video blogs. So, from here on out, I’m going to give you an inside look at the life of Andre.

Why my life? Well, for starters I’m a freshman. So I just thought it might be cool to show you what life is like as a freshman at UWO. What can you get involved in? What is playing a sport like? What about classes, friends, res halls…? Plus I have a lot of fun. And I hope you’ll find my posts a little entertaining!

Before I start, though, I want to give you a little look into my background and how my life has already changed since I started at UW Oshkosh in September.

WHY UW OSHKOSH?

People always ask me: “Why did you pick UWO?” And there are three key reasons.

1. Oshkosh itself. The area is pretty similar to my hometown of Sun Prairie, so I felt the homey city-boy vibe as soon as I got here. It has a good balance of city and small-town, so even though I’m nowhere near “outdoorsy” I can still have the opportunity to be a little more laid back.
  2. The men’s basketball team. I heard about the new coach, Pat Juckem, and thought he was an awesome coach. He knows a lot about the game – and every player wants to have a coach like that, especially on the collegiate level. All the other coaches for the team are awesome too! (I’m on the team, by the way.)
  3. Campus life! Everyone on campus likes to be involved. Not to mention they’re all pretty cool and open. For example, during Taste of Oshkosh (a big club/organization fair that happens the Tuesday before classes start) I found myself outside with my boombox jamming out with all the students that were at the fair. (Which was pretty much everyone.)

AFTER GRADUATION, BEFORE THE BIG LEAP

Once I got my diploma I was like every other graduate. I just wanted to go to college. Have the freedom to do whatever I wanted. Go wherever I wanted. Meet new people. Meet my roommate. And meet people from all over the region. And so far, it’s been a blast. Just like I hoped it would be.

WHAT I’VE DONE SO FAR

I think it’s important to mention that when I was coming into college I knew one thing: I wanted to be known. Which, to be completely honest, wasn’t going to be that hard. Especially because of my flattop haircut. (Gerald from “Hey Arnold!” anyone??) Oh and I’m also 6’5”. I wanted to be known as someone fun; someone that everyone loved being around. And I’ve been really lucky. Here are some of my favorite things that have happened so far:

1. Bringing out my boombox at Taste of Oshkosh and having tons of fun with everyone.
  2. Getting a job in the Admissions Office, having tons of fun and doing some interesting things in public…. (Gangnam Style!)
  3. Playing the sport I absolutely love with 15 other great guys and three awesome coaches.
  4. Attending tons of sporting events. (Our football team is undefeated AND WIAC champs!!)
  5. Meeting tons of new faces in all my classes.

All these things are things you could do too, when you get here. You just have to have confidence and put yourself out there. Don’t be scared!

THE NOW

Now that I’m settled in, everything is going great. A lot of people know who I am and talk to me. My every day routine is pretty simple: class, work, school, practice and then homework. And I know. That sounds really structured and boring. But it really isn’t. I always find myself doing other activities in there and getting to know new faces.

On Wednesday night the UW Oshkosh men’s basketball team played the Wisconsin Badgers! Even though we lost 94-44, it will be something I’ll remember for the rest of my life. Here are a few reasons why:

1. I got to play against my favorite college basketball team (More than 15,000 people were there to watch us play. That’s crazy!)
  2. I guarded Jared Berggren (6’10”), Evan Anderson (6’10”), Frank Kaminsky (6’11”) and my “twin” Ryan Evans (6’6”) (if you guys were wondering my flat top did look better!)
  3. The looks that I got when I was guarding Evens were priceless. It was definitely a battle of the flat tops (I think I won that battle).
  4. I scored three points, made a 3-pointer late in the shot clock and I also drew a charge!

For my first game as a college basketball player I thought I played well and I’m excited to see how the rest of the season goes!

I think I probably talked more than enough for now. If you have questions you’re wondering about or things you want me to talk about, let me know on my Facebook page. Otherwise check back every week and see what I’m up to!

Thanks for reading!!

PS: If you haven’t seen my video blogs yet… here’s one of my favorites: UW Oshkosh Gangnam Style