My first semester at UW Oshkosh = Win.

Posted by & filed under Blog, New Freshmen.

It’s hard to believe the end of my first semester of college is right around the corner. Over the past three months, I’ve created unforgettable memories, gained confidence and made lifelong friendships.

Like many other freshmen, this was my first experience living in a new town and being independent. I remember crying as I hugged my parents and said goodbye. It finally hit me that life was changing. For the first time in 18 years, I was completely out of my comfort zone and had no idea what the semester would bring.

Turns out, my first semester at UW Oshkosh brought so much more to my life than I could have ever imagined. In a good way.

This semester, I took a class called “Introduction to Business.” This class taught me about all the business majors UW Oshkosh’s College of Business has to offer, and gave me opportunities to closely evaluate who I am. Somewhat surprisingly, after taking this course, I discovered business might not be the perfect match for me. Introduction courses are nice to take because they give you a solid overview of the program and if you’re like me and decide it isn’t the best fit, it’s nice to figure it out right away!

Another valuable class I took this semester was Speech. Public speaking is critical for almost every career and in 14 short weeks this course taught me key components and methods in professional public speaking. I feel more confident speaking in front of groups of people now.

Aside from academics, I’ve also had a great residence hall experience. I live in one of the freshmen-only residence halls. My community advisor and the girls on my floor are SUPER fun.

In my hall, there is never a dull moment. You’ll find people skipping and singing in the hallway. The whiteboards hanging on all the doors are always covered with funny sayings and pictures. When you need a shoulder to cry on, someone is there. When you are in a super good mood and don’t know what to do with all your energy, there’s a good chance someone else on the floor is struggling with the same thing and you’ll end up going on some sort of adventure. (Or maybe you’ll be one of those people skipping and singing in the hallway!)

Another thing I’ve learned this semester is that UW Oshkosh has delicious food. My absolute favorite thing to get is a sub from Reeve. About halfway through the semester, I discovered the To-Go room, a food service located inside of Blackhawk, which is open late at night. This came in handy multiple times because I had a night class. The Starbucks MiTaza in Reeve is great too. After a long day, nothing beats a cup of hot chocolate.

Some of my friends!

However, the best part of my first semester at UW Oshkosh has to be the friendships I’ve made. I consider my friends as a second family. When I’m having a bad day, they do something to cheer me up. For example, earlier this week, I was getting sick so my friend decided to stick a can of Campbell’s soup in my backpack. Random gestures like that are normal among my college friends and I am so grateful.

You hear all the time that “college is the best time of your life.” My first semester of college at UW Oshkosh has proven this statement to be true and makes me very excited to see what the rest of my college years will bring.

If you ever have any questions about what it’s like to be a freshman at UW Oshkosh, please don’t hesitate to ask, either in the comments below or on my Facebook page.