Why I Chose UWO: A Perfect Fit

Posted by & filed under Campus Visit, New Freshmen.

It was a cold day in Wisconsin when I first arrived at the UW Oshkosh campus… -10 degrees to be exact. When I arrived in the Admissions office I was wearing enough layers to dress more than five people. It wasn’t the most glamorous look — but it wasn’t a choice I regretted.

Other than my stellar outfit, one part of the experience I clearly remember was how personal my tour was. On many of my other campus tours I was placed into a group, advised as a group and given a tour as a group. At UW Oshkosh I was able to meet one-on-one with an admissions counselor to discuss what I wanted to get out of college. I could see that they cared.

I also fell in love with the UW Oshkosh vibe. Every campus has its own feel to it. You know… the sense you get from walking around on campus. What are the people like? How do the buildings look? Do I like the area? The atmosphere on campus is actually one of the many things that helped to seal the deal for me. Many other campuses I visited had the essentials: a commons, a union, education buildings and residence halls, but for me they just weren’t my “perfect fit”.

UW Oshkosh also has the perfect personality for me. When I walk through academic buildings my professors will smile and say hello; many even know my name. Moving into my room at UW Oshkosh was the first time I wasn’t going to be living in the house I’d lived in since I was born. I thought I might feel out of place; however, in a few weeks UW Oshkosh became my new home: a place I felt comfortable, safe and loved.

I also like that UW Oshkosh has a perfect mix of large-school feel with small-school community. Walking around on campus, there are plenty of students I’ve never seen before, as well as a whole bunch who I feel have helped shape my college experience.

Because it is larger, I’ve been given opportunities I don’t believe I would have been able to experience elsewhere. I have been able to work three amazing on-campus jobs that have given me professional experiences and helped me build fabulous personal and professional relationships. For example, in just my first semester freshman year I began work as an intern in the Chancellor’s Office. I can’t imagine where I would be without this experience. I learned how to work in an office, plan events, assist in the training and hiring of employees and work with many essential software programs. But most of all I was given confidence: confidence in the skills and experience I have gained and in myself.

Shortly after, I found a job at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center teaching group exercise classes and also was hired for this internship in the Admissions Office. These experiences have helped guide me toward a career that fits my skills and interests.

These are just bits and pieces of my journey here at UW Oshkosh. The whole story simply can’t be covered in a single blog post, nor can the impact of my experiences. I hope you can find your “perfect fit”— but if you haven’t yet and are still looking, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you find the perfect university for you.