In my last blog I gave you some advice on how to eat on campus. But you can’t forget the physical fitness aspect. At UW Oshkosh we are very lucky to have the Student Recreation and Wellness Center: an awesome facility – FREE for students – that offers tons of equipment, fitness programs, a rock climbing wall and more.
The Student Recreation and Wellness Center, or more commonly know as “SRWC,” is an award-winning facility and the place to be if you’re looking to have an active lifestyle. Not only does the SRWC have 100+ cardio machines, but other top features include: a climbing wall, golf simulators, massage therapy, wellness station, cyber café, personal training, state-of-the-art strength & conditioning equipment, basketball and volleyball courts, indoor soccer field, table tennis and group fitness classes.
Whew! As you can see you’ll never be bored at the SRWC.
But even with all those fitness opportunities at your fingertips, it can still be a little overwhelming figuring out how to start – or stay motivated. Here are my top five tips on how to stay or become physically fit at UWO:
1. Keep trying new things! You ran on the treadmill yesterday. Today try rock climbing or attend a group fitness class. (Come to one of my classes!) Switching up your workout will help you avoid becoming bored and skipping the gym. Not to mention you may find something new that you really like or never knew you could do.
2. Work different muscle groups. Not only is it important to work your full body but also alternating muscle groups will prevent you from being too sore the next day to workout. Work all your muscle groups equally. The SRWC has a ton of different equipment that makes this an easy thing to do.
3. Go swimming. Stepping away from the SRWC we also have Albee Hall, which is the home to our Olympic-size swimming pool. It’s free to use with your Titan ID. Swimming is a great workout whether you’re swimming laps, playing a game in the diving pool or taking a water aerobics class.
4. Get competitive. Get your friends together to shoot some hoops or play a game of volleyball. The SRWC provides all the equipment and can be great for your social life as well as your fitness level. If you can’t find enough people to join, sign up for an intramural sport!
5. Get a fitness assessment at the Wellness Station. Being able to measure how much your physical fitness has improved can be a great motivator. It can also help you hold yourself accountable if you haven’t been working as hard as you should.
Not into gym life? That’s OK too. UW Oshkosh is very close to Lake Winnebago and Menominee Park, which are a nice places to go run or bike. The Wiouwash Trail also starts on the UW Oshkosh campus and extends several miles. This is a wonderful, relaxing route. (Don’t have a bike? Rent one from XPeditions!)
Make the most out of your college experience by getting involved and stay in shape.
Looking forward to seeing you around the SRWC!