Staying safe at UW Oshkosh

Posted by & filed under Blog, Commuter Students, New Freshmen, Residence Life, Tips & Advice, Transfer Students.

One of the most frequently asked questions I hear on tour is, “Is Oshkosh safe?” It’s an understandable concern; besides attending classes here, roughly 4,000 students live on campus as well. Seeing as how June is National Safety Month, I thought it would be awesome to just let you all know some of the sweet security features that we have on campus here at UW Oshkosh.

With just our residence halls alone there are a lot of different ways we keep people safe.

• SECURITY STATIONS: After about 9:30 p.m. every day, we open up what we call security stations, which have either a Community Advisor (CA) or a Community Service Officer (CSO), who work directly with the University Police Department. When someone comes into the residence hall, he or she gives their TitanCard to the CA or CSO. The card is scanned into a computer (awesome technology) and shows whether or not you live in that specific residence hall.  If you don’t, then someone from that hall has to check you in.  The entire process takes mere seconds and is a really efficient way of keeping people who don’t belong in the residence halls out of them.
  • LOCKED BATHROOMS: A very important security feature that we have in the residence halls is locked bathrooms. This is to make sure that only people who should have access to the bathrooms will be using them. I’ll be honest, the first week or so of needing your keys to get into the bathroom does take some getting used to.  However, I am so used to it now that even when I am at home I will not go to the bathroom until I have my keys.  My sister still laughs at me about that.

The residence halls aren’t the only areas of campus that are safe; our entire campus has many different features that make everyone a great deal safer.

• EMERGENCY TOWERS: We have emergency buttons and phones scattered all around our campus.  In total there are about 141 of these devices. They are easy to spot because they have a bright blue light on top of them with big white letters that say EMERGENCY. The university police take these very seriously. They arrive within a minute. (Don’t press these if you don’t have an emergency).

Speaking of the University Police, they do an amazing job of making sure everything about our campus is safe.  There are officers on duty all day, everyday, no matter what. There are also the Community Service Officers (CSO’s) that I mentioned earlier. The CSO’s are trained by the University Police so that they are able to do anything that the police can do, except make an arrest. The University Police and CSO’s are constantly patrolling the campus making sure that everything is good.

The University Police and CSO’s also provide a Safe Walk program for all students that attend UW Oshkosh.  The Safe Walk program is sweet because if you are feeling unsafe or just don’t want to walk alone on campus, you give them a call and they will escort you wherever you need to go. I have used this service before after a late night at the library and it was pretty awesome to be escorted by two officers.

When you live off of campus, they help too. The University Police also escort people about two-to-three blocks off of campus, just another way to make sure that everyone is safe.

The features I talked about in this post only scratch the surface of all the programs UW Oshkosh offers to make sure its students feel secure and at home. If you’re interested in learning more about safety and security measures taken on campus, visit the Campus Safety Resources website.

Enjoy the last few days of National Safety Month… stay safe! ;)