If you’re a student-athlete, today is YOUR day. Founded in 1987 by the National Consortium for Academics and Sports, National Student Athlete Day is meant as a celebration of academic, athletic, and stewardship success. Additionally, April 6 marks the 2011 Giant Steps Awards, which honor those who demonstrate a balance of academics, athletics, life pursuits and community involvement.
Today is the day we get to celebrate all of UWO’s athletic team members. Men’s athletics include: baseball, basketball, cross country,
football, soccer, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, and wrestling. Women’s athletics include: basketball, cross country, golf, gymnastics, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, and volleyball.
There are also a ton of intramural and club sports on campus! (Something for everyone.)
Because there’s so much we could talk about – and this post could go on forever – here are just a few facts about UW Oshkosh’s athletics programs. Trust me, there’s a lot more, so to find out additional information and facts about each sport check out their websites.
Fun Facts about UW Oshkosh Athletics:
- The men’s soccer team made a trip to Texas this past season and placed 3rd in the NCAA Division III Championship.
- 51: The number of UW Oshkosh baseball stars who have signed professional contracts.
- The 2010 women’s soccer team earned the Gold Team Ethics Award from the NSCAA for completing the season with neither a yellow or red card.
- Four UW Oshkosh student-athletes have appeared in Sports Illustrated “Faces in the Crowd” section.
- In 2009, the men’s indoor track and field team was the NCAA Division III Champion.
- UW Oshkosh’s women’s gymnastics’ team has 15 athletes on its 2011 roster.
- The football team assisted veterans in preparing for the Old Glory Honor Flight at the EAA AirVenture in 2010.
- The UW Oshkosh record for the 50-yard Freestyle (swimming) is 23.87 for women and 20.73 for men.
- As of May 3, 2009 there were 154 athletes inducted into the Titan Hall of Fame.
For more fun facts – and trust me, there are a lot more – check out UW Oshkosh Athletics Facebook page.