The poor student’s guide to rocking spring break

Posted by & filed under Blog, Entertainment, Just for Fun.

As I went up to my room after classes today, I ran into my friend Chelsea, who was carrying a package under her arm.

“You got a package? Lucky!” I exclaimed.

“Yeah. I bought myself a cute swimming suit for when I go to the Bahamas on break,” she responded.

Some of you may be like Chelsea, spending spring break in a place that’s sunny, warm and not Wisconsin. But if you’re like me, you’ll be spending the week in the dairy state, trying to figure out the temperamental weather – do I wear shorts or will I need to wear the thick, puffy coat?

But just because we aren’t able to go bask in the tropical sun, that doesn’t mean there still isn’t a bunch of cool stuff to do in Wisconsin when you’re strapped for cash.

1. Visit a free zoo. What? Did I say the “f” word? Of course I did! I’m a college student; I love using the word free. There are zoos scattered around the state that require no admission fee, but still offer all the fun (and animals) of a regular-sized zoo. Some cool ones to check out are the Racine Zoo and the Henry Vilas Zoo in Madison.
  2. Visit a local museum. Some local museums are brimming with state history, while others offer a little more –ahem— “interesting” exhibits, such as the International Clown Hall of Fame or the Bergstrom-Mahler Museum, which features paper weights and other eclectic works from artists.
  3. Find cheap movies. Marcus theaters sometimes offer deals during matinee and weekdays. And budget movie theaters are also an option for slightly outdated movies you haven’t seen yet. Some libraries also offer a movie night… Those nights rock. Can you say free popcorn?
  4. Take a day trip to the city. Pile into a car with your friends and spend an entire day in a nearby “big city” like Green Bay or Milwaukee. You can discover some really cool places—like the Safe House— and have fun being slightly lost.
  5. Volunteer. UW Oshkosh offers an alternative spring break program that gives people the opportunity to spend their week working on service projects in another part of the nation. More locally, soup kitchens and animal shelters are always looking for people willing to help out. With so much spare time on your hands, this is the perfect time to help.
  6. Check out local coffeehouses for great music. On a weeknight, you’ll probably find some open-mic events, where you can cheer for the brave souls that decide to perform. Some students head to the New Moon Cafe in Oshkosh because you’re more likely to catch a local band performing, which is also fun.
  7. Sleep. There is no better time than spring break time to catch up on your beauty sleep and lay around all day long in your pajamas watching Seinfeld reruns and eating cold pizza. (Note: if this is your typical day-to-day lifestyle, you can amp it up a little by changing the channel and/or ordering hot pizza.)

The important thing to keep in mind about making spring break a fun time is remembering to be on the lookout for interesting things to do. Try to stay open minded and push your limits a little. Some of the best adventures come from things you would never have thought to do. If you try one of my suggestions, or came up with a really good idea of your own, leave a comment about it! There has to be more than seven cool things to do on spring break.

One Response to “The poor student’s guide to rocking spring break”

1. Sarah

Thanks for mentioning the Clown Hall of Fame – Circus girl here from Baraboo!!! :) hahaha