Dating and Domestic Violence
Dating and domestic violence can be emotional, verbal, physical or psychological.
How You Can Help
If you know someone who is in an abusive relationship, there are some things that you can do to help him or her:
- Tell them it's not their fault.
- Tell them they don't deserve it.
- Let them know you believe them.
- Don't spread gossip. It could put them in danger.
- Don't try to make them do anything they don't want to (it won't work unless it's their decision).
- Tell them that they're not crazy, because they're going to feel that way.
- Encourage them to build a wide support system — go to a support group or talk to friends and family.
- Don't blame them for the abuse or their decision to stay; leaving an abusive relationship is hard and can take a long time.
- See if they need medical attention. They may not realize how badly they're hurt.
- Connect them with a domestic abuse services agency.
Fox Cities 832-1666
Calumet County (920) 849-7819