After an Assault
Call to immediately speak with an advocate
24-HR Sexual Assault Crisis Hotline
- Go to a safe place as soon as you can and ask a trusted person to stay with you, if possible.
- Call the 24 hour sexual assault crisis hotline to reach a victim advocate who can provide support, explain options, and meet you at the hospital or police station.
Go to the hospital for a Sexual Assault Nurse Exam (SANE). This involves…
- Medications for sexually transmitted infections
- Emergency contraception
- Evidence collection
- Completing a SANE Exam DOES NOT mean you have to report to the police!!
- You can choose to ONLY get the medications and have your health checked out, or you can choose to have evidence collected as well. These services are FREE and it is 100% up to you what steps you want to complete. You can choose to stop at any time.
To access SANE Services...go to the Aurora Emergency Room:
Aurora Medical Center 855 N Westhaven Dr.
Oshkosh, WI 54904
- You can choose to file a police report at any time.
- If this happened on University property...contact the University Police
- If this happened within the City of Oshkosh, but not on University property...contact Oshkosh Police
- If this happened in neither of these places...contact the campus victim advocate (920) 424-3127 who will help you determine which police department you need to contact
- Once you report to the police...you do not get to make any more decisions! The State will decide if they would like to press charges, not the victim.
- Both can also transport you to the hospital.
Oshkosh University Police Oshkosh Police Department (920) 424-1212 Emergencies: 911
Non-emergencies: (920) 236-5700
- You can choose to WAIT to make a decision!
- It is OK to not know what to do or not want to make a decision right away. You can call the 24-HR hotline or contact the UWO Victim Advocate - Stephanie Kitzerow to talk through your options and help you decide what course of action will be best for you.
UWO Victim Advocate Stephanie Kitzerow
Student Success Center, Suite 240