How to tell if you are in an abusive relationship
You have the right to a safe and healthy relationship…
free from violence and free from fear.
HOW CAN I TELL IF I AM IN AN ABUSIVE
It may be hard to recognize you are in an abusive relationship before a serious physical assault happens. However, there are warning signs that can help you identify an abusive relationship before things get out of control.
What Do I Need to Know?
Know the warning signs. There are abusive behaviors often overlooked that can be early indicators that your relationship is headed in the wrong direction.
Remember not all of these signs will be in every abusive relationship. But, if you answer yes to any of the following questions, seek help to assist you in deciding if your relationship is as healthy as you deserve.
Ask yourself, does your partner:
- Look at you or act in ways that scare you?
- Act jealous or possessive?
- Put you down or criticize you?
- Try to control where you go, what you wear, or what you do?
- Text or IM you excessively?
- Blame you for the hurtful things they say or do?
- Threaten to kill or hurt you or themselves if you leave them?
- Try to stop you from seeing or talking to friends and family?
- Try to force you to have sex before you’re ready?
- Hit, slap, push, or kick you?
There are also other things to consider that combined with the above behaviors could be red flags, such as:
- History of abusive behavior, especially against a former dating partner
- Big mood swings
- Explosive temper
- Belief that abuse is acceptable in relationships
If you recognize any of the above warning signs in your relationship, you may be in an abusive relationship. Remember that you have many options. A victim advocate is available to assist you with any decision you make.
Let your partner know that you won’t tolerate abuse. Create a plan to stay safe, whether you end the relationship or not. Call the police if you are ever in danger or need help. And know your legal rights, especially when you are ready to leave.
The information supplied by this website is not to be considered legal or medical advice. The website is strictly for informational purposes only.