Personal tools
You are here: Home > Emergency/Crisis


If you're in suicidal crisis -- TAKE YOURSELF SERIOUSLY! If your need is extremely urgent, admit it. You deserve to get help immediately rather than later. If you're experiencing intense emotional distress and need immediate response, get off the computer and call:

    • 1-800-273-TALK (8255) from anywhere in the U.S. or
    • Crisis Hotline (920) 233-7707 for local assistance or
    • The Trevor Project Hotline (866) 488-7386 for a LGBTQ friendly hotline or
    • The UW Oshkosh Counseling Center (920) 424-2061 or Health Center (920) 424-2424 and make an appointment for an office visit, just be sure to make it clear that your need is urgent.
    • Go to the Emergency Room by calling (920) 223-2000 or 911


If you have been the victim of violence (a bias incident, hate crime, sexual assault) please seek help with the following:

Bias Incident/Hate Crime

Online Bias/Hate Incident Reporting Form

A bias incident is any act, including conduct, speech, or expression, in which a biased motive (against a race, religion, disability status, ethnicity/national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation) is a clear contributing factor. A hate crime is a bias incident that has risen to the level of a crime. All hate crimes are bias incidents, but not all incidents are crimes.

University Police

(920) 424-1212

The UP will assess the situation and dispatch appropriate personnel including paramedics, fire department and law enforcement.

Campus Violence Prevention Program (CVPP)

(920) 424-2061

Victim Advocates are available to provide support and information about the legal and disciplinary options for dating or domestic violence, stalking, sexual assault, or sexual harassment.

Counseling Center

(920) 424-2061

The Counseling Center is a free and confidential service for students. Students who are not feeling safe will be seen immediately.

Student Health Center

(920) 424-2424

The Student Health Center is a free and confidential health service for students. Like the Counseling Center, students will be seen immediately if they are feeling unsafe. The Health Center is located in Radford Hall.

Campus for Awareness and Relationship Education (CARE)

(920) 424-2061

Students comprise this peer education program at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh. They focus on awareness and prevention of sexual assault. In addition, they serve as a campus resource on the topic of sexual assault and date/acquaintance rape. CARE offers presentations that are available to all university student groups, classes and community organizations.

If you do not need immediate response and are willing to hang on and work with someone who wants to help you, reach out to someone around you such as a friend, roommate, CA or RHD, family member, clergy member, or faculty.

Sometimes we can feel very hopeless and alone, and we don't know how to ask for help. If you are concerned that you may harm yourself or someone else we strongly recommend that you reach out to someone for help.

Remember, if you feel you can’t wait it out, you can always go to the phone for help right now.

Do you feel safe but need more in depth information? Click here for some helpful websites and information on suicide prevention.

Quote about asking for help

by sebenl99 — last modified Feb 26, 2016 01:21 PM

National Crisis Hotline
1 (800) 273-TALK (8255)