Software for Students
UW-Oshkosh students registered for at least one Computer Science class are eligible to participate in our Microsoft DreamSpark for Academic Institutions software program. Many Microsoft software packages related to Computer Science and Software Engineering are available as a free download. You can also order a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM from the computer science club for a very reasonable price.
Microsoft Office is not available through the DreamSpark program. However, if you are a student, you may be eligible to download it for free. Please visit http://products.office.com/en-us/student to verify your eligibility.
If you have questions, please refer to the FAQ section below. If your question is not answered there and you are taking a Computer Science course, please send your request to, the Computer Science administrator.
For students taking an MIS course, please send your requests to, the MIS administrator.
- Go to the UWO CS login page.
- Click the "Sign In" link near the top of the screen. Enter your login information. You should note that this is not the same username and password as your UW-Oshkosh username and password. Your username is your full UW-Oshkosh e-mail address. See the FAQ below if you do not know or have forgotten your password.
- Click on the software you wish to download.
- Choose the download that best fits your needs and click on the "Add to Cart" link. You should not choose the "Mail Order" option. Please read the section below if you would like a hard copy made by the CS Club.
- If you wish to continue shopping, click on the "Continue Shopping" link to keep searching for more software and go back to step 3. If you are ready to download, click on the "Check Out" button.
- Read the DreamSpark EULA and click "I Accept" assuming you accept the terms. If there are any messages, please read those and click continue.
- Fill out the Order Information section if it is not already filled in for you. Then click on "Proceed With Order."
- Once you are on the Receipt page, be sure to write down your Product Key if there is one. Click on the "Start Download" link. There is a pop-up that comes so if you have a pop-up blocker installed, you may need to disable it temporarily. Read the download instructions to download your software.
Have the CS Club make you a copy:
Many of the software titles available on the DreamSpark website are in ISO format. Instead of going through the hassle of burning your own copy, you support the Computer Science Club and have them create a copy for you. The cost of each CD or DVD is $5. Contact Professor Krohn if you are interested in having one made.
- I don't know my username or password, what is it? Your username is your full uwosh.edu e-mail account. The password is not the same as your e-mail password. If you do not know or do not remember your password, click on the following link:
Type in your uwosh.edu e-mail address and you will be sent a new password.
- When does my access to this free software expire? Access to the software is only available when you are taking a computer science course. Access to the software ends at the end of each semester. Because of this, you should write down your product keys before the semester ends.
- What is an ISO image? An ISO image is an archived file. It is similar to a zip file. One difference is that a zipped file is generally compressed whereas an ISO file is not. There are many ways to use an ISO image depending on what your needs are: mounting the image, burning the image to a CD/DVD or copying the image to a USB drive. You should do an online search for "iso image" or "burn iso image" for instructions on how to use an ISO image. If you are having trouble getting the ISO to work or simply do not want to spend the time worrying about it, see the note above about having the CS club make you a copy for $5.
- I'm still a student who took a computer science course in the past but I am no longer taking a computer science course, can I still access the software? No. Unfortunately, our agreement with Microsoft states that only students enrolled in a computer science course are eligible for the free software. However, if you are a student, there is a cheap alternative to accessing most of the software. You can join the . By joining the ACM, you have access to the DreamSpark software. Be sure to read the membership details though as certain memberships do not have access to the free software. You can view all of the software available through the ACM's DreamSpark site .
- I've successfully download the software but I can't get it to install, can you help? Probably not. The support I provide is ensuring you are able to access and download the software available on the DreamSpark website. For example, I provide support if you are having problems with your account, if you cannot get the secure download manager to work or if you are having problems with the product keys. However, my support mostly ends (i.e. technical support) once you have successfully downloaded the software. If you are having trouble getting the ISO file to work, see question 3 above.
Partial List of Software Titles Available for Free Download
Below is a partial list of software available on the DreamSpark website. You have access to almost 200 software titles. The highlighted software titles are the ones downloaded most often.
Exchange Server 2013 Enterprise Edition
Expression Studio 4 Ultimate
MSDN Library for Visual Studio 2008
Office Groove 2007
Office Project Server 2010
Office Sharepoint Server 2013 Enterprise
Project Professional 2013
Project Server 2010
SharePoint Designer 2010
SQL Server 2014
Streets & Trips 2013
Virtual PC 2007
Visio Professional 2013
Visual Studio 2013
Windows 7 Professional Edition
Windows 8 Professional Edition
Windows Vista Business Edition
Windows Vista Enterprise Edition
Windows XP Professional with SP3
XNA Game Studio 4