Reasons for Considering a major in Computing at UWO
There are many good reasons for choosing a computing major. The present employment outlook is excellent:
- CareerCast, a nation-wide job service recently conducted a study and reached the conclusion that software engineer is the best job of 2011. According to the study, their selection of software engineer for this title "can be attributed to two emerging industries: web applications and cloud computing. A proliferation of companies making applications for smartphones and tablets, along with the push to develop cloud software hosted entirely online, has made the job market for Software Engineers broader and more diverse. And a diverse job market brings improvements in stress factors such as Growth Potential and Competitiveness, as workers become less beholden to employers or vulnerable to outsourcing."
- What's it like to be a computer scientist? The perspective of Marissa Mayer, CEO of Yahoo, may surprise you.
- According to the "Recruiting Trends 2010—2011" report that is published by the Collegiate Employment Research Institute at Michigan State University, "students graduating at all degree levels in computer science and related IT fields will have a favorable job market. Already in short supply, these students will see expanded opportunities due to the investments companies are making in technology." The report projects that employment opportunities for computer science graduates will increase by 18 percent.
- According to the recently released 2010 Taulbee Report from the Computing Research Association:
- "Computing careers are projected to be the fastest growing professional occupations over the next decade. They are among the tops in salary and ranked as some of the best jobs in America. And they’re filled with tremendous intellectual challenges, excitement ,and the opportunity to change the world."
- According to a 2010 survey conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers computer science earns the fourth highest average starting salary among all majors.
- A wide variety of career paths in computer science offer an opportunity to work with others to solve interesting problems while making a meaningful contribution to science, business, and society.
- According to the national Bureau of Labor Statistics, "Employment of computer scientists is expected to grow by 24 percent from 2008 to 2018, which is much faster than the average for all occupations."