You are here: Home > HSL > Transnational > Frequently Asked Questions

Printable FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions


How will I be billed for tuition?
Visit the office of Student Accounts website for information about tuition and fees.

Is financial aid available for international students?
No. Financial aid is not available for international students living outside of the United States.  However, you may sign-up for the partial payment plan through your TitanWeb account.

Are scholarships available for the program?
Visit the financial aid office website for grant and scholarship information. Many international students are able to obtain grants or scholarships from employers, international organizations, or government agencies.

What can I do with a Master’s degree in Transnational Human Services Leadership?
The master degree experience often transforms the professional and personal lives of its graduates. Their experience can lead them to new challenges and prepare them for increased leadership responsibilities. Many graduates say their time in master degree programs is also their best educational experience. With a master’s degree in Transnational Human Services Leadership, you can work, for example, as:
Human services administrator
Nonprofit/NGO director
Chapter development director
Director of international initiatives,
Public administrator
Deputy director for nonprofit/non-government organizations
Director of international education
Director of global engagement
Director of international advancement
Director of service learning
Social and community service manager
Director of human resource development
Fundraising director
Director of development
Community education director

Can I get federal student loans to help fund the program?
MTHSL meets the requirements for Federal Stafford Loans and Graduate PLUS loans. If you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or eligible noncitizen you can apply for a federal loan. Another funding option could be a loan from private lender or see if you organization offers a tuition assistance plan. MTHSL also has a dedicated executive student loan liaison to assist you through the loan process.

When can I start the program?
The MTHSL offers courses on a rolling basis. Therefore, you can submit your application any time. If you have questions about the application process, call (920) 424-0335 to speak to an admissions advisor or email,

Can I participate in the MTHS if I live outside the United States?
Yes. International students from any country in the world can participate in the program as long as they meet the requirements for admission.  There are no requirements to provide financial documentation, to obtain a visa, or to travel to the United States.

When will I receive a decision regarding my acceptance?
Applications are considered complete and ready for review when the UWO Graduate Studies office has received all materials. After review of the application and related documents, a telephone interview will be scheduled. Admission decisions are generally made within two weeks of the completion of the interview.


Is the MTHSL program accredited?
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA). The MTHSL is offered by the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, a U.S. public university, part of the prestigious University of Wisconsin System. 

Is an undergraduate degree required?
All graduate students at The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh must have received an undergraduate degree or an equivalent four year United States degree if from a university or college outside of the U.S.

Does my undergraduate degree need to be in Human Services?
Students in the MTHS program are valued for their academic diversity. No particular undergraduate major is required for this program.

Do I need to take the GMAT, the GRE or the MAT to be admitted into the MTHSL program?
A GMAT, GRE, or MAT is NOT required as part of your application.
How much time do classes take?
The time it takes each student to complete their coursework can vary depending on their study habits, but we suggest planning on spending about 15 hours a week per class.

Do I have to write a thesis?
The student must complete a capstone project or a thesis.  Therefore, writing a thesis is optional, and not required.

If I don’t see myself working abroad for a global company, why would the MTHSL be an advantage?
As organizations continue to transform or redesign themselves in the context of a multicultural and globalized world, they are seeing the value of internationally-minded and locally-focused leaders. Most leadership positions require an ability to supervise a diverse workforce. Therefore, a global mindset is important for a leader at both the local and international levels. Graduates of this program will have skills in organizational performance, assessment, finance, program development, and personnel management and will be able to serve as program managers and in executive leadership positions for a range of governmental and non-governmental organizations in multiple state, national, and international environments.
Is there a campus residency?
No.  There is no campus residency requirement. The program is 100% online. 
Will I be required to attend classes at certain times?
No. As long as coursework/assignments are completed by the deadlines, you can work on it whenever it's most convenient.

How much experience do faculty members have?
All of our faculty members continue their professional involvement in the Human Services field in addition to their academic credentials.

How accessible is the faculty?
All faculty members in the program will be easily accessible to meet all your academic needs.  The Human Services Leadership Department is very experienced in providing online education, especially for non-traditional students.


How long can I take to complete my master's degree?
All academic requirements that apply to a master's degree at UW Oshkosh must be completed within a seven-year time period. The time begins with the beginning date of the term in which the first degree course was taken. The time period ends with the date the final requirement is completed. 

Can I get an extension on the time to finish my degree? If so, what do I do to request an extension?
An extension may be requested by students seeking more time to finish their degree. Students must fill out a Request for Extension of Time to Degree Completion form, submit it to his or her program coordinator for a recommendation then send the form to the Office of Graduate Studies for evaluation and final approval.

If you have more questions, call us (920) 424-0335 to speak to an admissions advisor or REQUEST MORE INFORMATION today.



Printable FAQ

Document Actions
Contact Information

Dr. Toni House 

College of Education and Human Services 

800 Algoma Blvd. 

Oshkosh, WI 54901

Phone: (920) 424-7238

Fax: (920) 424-0858


Director's Welcome