You are here: Home > Departments and Divisions > Special & Early Childhood Education > Graduate Program > Advising > Policies and Procedure — Graduate

Policies and Procedure — Graduate

Late Drops

If a student wants to drop a class after the deadline, she/he must complete a Request for Late Drop Form (available in the Registrar's Office in Dempsey 130). The student will complete Part I of the form and ask the course instructor to complete Part II of the form. For graduate students, this form must be signed by the director of graduate admissions and records, Graduate Studies.


Wait List Policy

If a course is full, contact the department office at (920) 424-3421 to place your name on the waiting list (provide name, student id and telephone number). If you are admitted to the course prior to the start of the semester, you will be contacted by telephone. If you have not been contacted prior to the start of the semester, plan on attending the first time of class to determine if the instructor is able to admit you.


Repeat Course Policy

Beginning with registration for Fall 2007 classes, students may repeat courses to improve their grade(s) on a space available basis at the time they are scheduled to register. They will no longer need to wait until 30 days before the term begins. However, students should check with their advisers to find out if their major has additional regulations on course repeats.

Each course may be repeated only once. Students may appeal that restriction through the Assistant Director of Advising (COBA, COEHS, CON) or the Student Academic Affairs Officer (COLS) of the college in which the course resides.

Students may only repeat a course if they have received a grade of CD or lower. The most recent grade awarded will be used in the computation of grade point averages and credit earned. If a student repeats a course and earns a lower grade, the lower grade will be used in the computation of grade point averages. Although grades earned at other post-secondary institutions will be included on the credit evaluation and on the official transcript, the official UW Oshkosh grade point average is not affected by grades earned elsewhere (refer to the New Official Grade Point Policy). Undergraduate courses repeated after graduation will not change the undergraduate cumulative grade point average.

Note: Although TitanWeb will allow registration for all repeats of courses, students may only repeat courses with a CD or less. It is the student's responsibility to be aware of this policy and to adhere by the rules. Courses repeated with a C or higher will not be counted in any University academic requirements and flagged as such on the transcript. Any request to repeat a course with a C or higher (including Incomplete (I), Pass (P), Satisfactory (S) or In Progress (IP),) needs to be appealed to the appropriate college and approved before registration of the course.

Students should be aware that they are responsible for any cost incurred by registering for a repeat course that does not have appropriate approval. If a course is dropped at a date that results in a charge, the student is responsible for payment.


Retention, Probation and Suspension

Each student is regarded as having one of three academic standings: full, probationary or suspended.

  • A student is in full standing if:
    • The student was admitted in full standing and retains a cumulative graduate grade point average of 3.00 or above.
    • The student was admitted on probation and achieves full standing by earning a 3.00 graduate grade point average in the first full term of enrollment or its equivalent (i.e., nine graduate credits).
  • A student is on probation if :
    • The student has been admitted on probation and has completed less than one full term or its equivalent (i.e., nine graduate credits).
    • The student was in full standing at the beginning of a term and has a cumulative overall graduate grade point average of less than 3.00 at the end of the term regardless of the number of credits attempted.
  • A student is on suspension if:
    • The student was on probation at the beginning of a term and has a cumulative overall graduate grade point average of less than 3.0 at the end of the nine credit probation period. Some programs have a more restrictive policy. Please consult the appropriate program.
    • The student has been denied admission to candidacy and has completed 18 graduate credits normally acceptable in the degree program.
    • The student has enrolled as a Special Student, Guest Matriculant or Nondegree student and the cumulative graduate grade point average is below 3.0.

The Graduate Studies office will place a registration stop on the records of students who are placed on suspension. Students placed on suspension will have their records reviewed by the graduate faculty associated with the degree program following one semester of suspension. Students should initiate this review, in writing, directed to the program coordinator. The faculty will make a written recommendation to the Graduate School regarding the retention of the students. If the faculty recommends to continue these students, written recommendations must contain a statement of conditions to be met in the next enrollment and a rationale for continuing the students. The Assistant Vice Chancellor,  School of Graduate Studies will make the final decision on retention and communicate it to the students and to the department.

Special, Guest or Non-Degree students may appeal in writing to the Assistant Vice Chancellor, School of Graduate Studies, following the semester of suspension.

  • Any individual wishing to appeal a School of Graduate Studies policy or decision (non-academic) should contact the Graduate Studies office for a copy of the appeals procedures.


Student Appeals Policy

To view the College of Education and Human Services student appeals policy, please visit COEHS Student Appeal Procedures.

Document Actions
Contact Us