Value and Core Beliefs
In the Department of Special Education at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, we value innovative partnerships with schools, families, and communities in order to prepare special education professionals who:
- Serve as caring intellectuals in working with students with disabilities and their families.
- Possess the skills to function as effective collaborators (with students, families, and professional colleagues), advocates, and leaders in the school and community to enhance the lives of individuals with disabilities.
- Honor diversity and support the inclusion and full participation of individuals with disabilities within mainstream school and community settings to the maximum extent possible.
- Are reflective practitioners striving to become lifelong learners continuously updating their knowledge and skills.
- Base their professional decisions on empirical evidence.
- Use problem solving strategies to improve the effectiveness of educational planning, curricula, and instruction.