Requirements specifically for the Special Education emphasis.
Special Education (Cross Categorical – Cognitive Disabilities [CD], Emotional/Behavioral [ED], and Learning Disabilities [LD])
Required Units (crs): 39 minimum
Required courses in addition to the College of Education and Human Services Curriculum Core Courses and General Education.
- Elementary Education
- Elem Ed 311 Teaching Language Arts PK-8 3 crs
- Elem Ed 384 Teaching Math PK-8 3 crs
- Literacy and Language
- Lit. & Lang. 305 Foundations of Literacy in Elementary School 2 crs
- Educational Leadership
- Ed Ldrsp 325 Instructional Technology 3 crs
- Ed Ldrsp 406 Foundations of Multicultural Education 3 crs
- Ed Ldrsp 408 Foundations of American Education 4 crs
- Special Education
- Spec Ed 353 Collaborative Approaches to Teaching Students with Communication and Motor Needs 3 crs
- Spec Ed 370 Practicum Experience in Special Education 4 crs
- Spec Ed 380 Inclusive Curriculum & Instruction 3 crs
- Spec Ed 381 Introduction to Behavioral Change and Management 3 crs
- Spec Ed 401 Advanced Practicum Experience in Special Education 2 crs
- Spec Ed 406 Technology in Special Education 3 crs
- Spec Ed 414 Advocacy Family Empowerment & Special Education Law 3 crs
- Spec Ed 431 Transition to Adulthood 3 crs
- Spec Ed 463 Teaching Students with Significant Disabilities 3 crs
- Spec Ed 470 Assessment for Special Education Eligibility 3 crs
- Spec Ed 471 Assessment for Program Planning in Special Education 3 crs
- Spec Ed 480 Research-Based Instructional Strategies 3 crs
- Spec Ed 481 Advanced Behavioral Management and Instruction 3 crs
- Health Education
- Health Ed 401 Health in Elementary School 2 crs
- 2 Placements 10 crs
- Choose One
- Elem Ed 316 Teaching Science/Environmental Education 2 crs
- Elem Ed 317 Teaching Social Studies 2 crs
- Ed Ldrsp 302 Literature for Children 2 crs
- Ed Ldrsp 303 Literature for Young Adulthood 2 crs
- Music 319 Music Methods 2 crs
All Special Education and Dual Majors complete a Practicum Semester of the following courses: Special Education 353, 370, 380, 381.
Please see the College of Education and Human Services (COEHS) Special Education Planning Sheet for additional specifications for licensure, general education requirements, course completion order, and graduation requirements.
There are no licensable minors in Special Education, however Special Education majors may complete a minor pertaining to regular education subjects.
Please note: Although affiliated with Curriculum & Instruction, the Special Education emphasis is managed by the Special Education Department.
Autism Spectrum Disorders Certificate
- Special Education
- Spec Ed 473 Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorders 3 crs
- Spec Ed 474 Teaching Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders 3 crs
- Spec Ed 475 Autism Spectrum Disorders Practicum 1 crs
Contact the Special Education Department in N/E 405 for additional information regarding certification.