General Expectations for Secondary Clinical
Secondary education majors require a pre-student teaching field experience to observe and practice pedagogical skills.
Students are expected to:
- Spend a minimum of 56 hours working and observing in a secondary classroom (one morning class each day for 12 weeks or a commensurate schedule).
- Begin mid-February/September. Take responsibility for any schedule changes or adaptations to fulfill the 56 hour requirement.
- Teach for small groups of students, perform mini lessons and whole class instruction whenever possible.
- Develop a relevant content unit
- Teach part or all of the content unit when feasible.
Clinical Community B
In elementary clinical, students are expected to:
- begin their clinical experience the third week of the semester and complete it the 13th week of the semester
- observe and assist in an elementary (K-5) classroom for 9-10 weeks, for one and one-half to two full days each week
- lead classroom routines, work with individuals and small groups of learners, and, if possible, lead curricular activities during observations/assistance days
- complete math, science, and social studies methods courses concurrently
- prepare and teach science, social studies, and math lesson plans and units during two full, non-consecutive weeks in their clinical placement (usually weeks seven and 13)
- engage in conferences with their university supervisor and cooperating teacher to reflect on their teaching and the children’s learning
- complete classroom management seminars concurrently
- observe their cooperating teachers’ classroom management strategies and apply strategies from the seminars in their clinical placement, as appropriate
- complete their admission to student teaching stage of their Professional Education Portfolio
Clinical Field Experience Content Areas:
- Foreign Languages
- History and The Social Studies
- Science Education