You are here: Home > Departments and Divisions > Educational Leadership > Admissions


New Applicants

To apply to the Educational Leadership program, apply online at For more information about admissions, visit the Office of Graduate Studies site.

Note: As part of the application process you will be asked for the names of three people who will write letters of recommendation for you. The Graduate Studies Office will send them a form to fill out. If they would rather just write a letter, please have them address the following three areas:

1. What is your basis for knowing the student?

2. What are the capabilities of the student?

3. Your opinion of the student's potential for degree completion.


Students Changing Programs

If you have already been admitted to another graduate program at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh and wish to transfer to the MS Educational Leadership program, complete the program/plan change application form.


Library/Media Licensure-Only Students

If you are seeking library/media licensure only, apply to the MS Educational Leadership program as if you were a new student. When you write why you want to enter the program, indicate that you are a licensure only student and tell which licensure you are seeking to earn (902 initial, 902 professional, 91)


Certificate Program Students

A number of graduate certificate programs exist on campus. You may complete only the Certificate program, only the MS Educational Leadership degree program, or you may earn both concurrently. If you wish to earn both a certificate and degree, you must apply to both programs separately. Both types of programs use the same application form. Simply indicate which program you are applying to as you submit each application. You only pay the application fee once. Contact the Office of Graduate Studies if you have additional questions.



If you are a UW Oshkosh graduate or former student, you do not need to submit official transcripts. Submission of your graduate application is authorization for the Office of Graduate Studies to request your transcripts from the Records Office.

If you earned your undergraduate degree from another institution or hope to transfer credits into your program from another institution, official transcripts from that institution are required. Have them sent directly to:

Office of Graduate Studies
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh WI 54901


Maintaining Your Status As a Graduate Student

In order to remain a continuing student, at least one course must be completed every two years. Otherwise, re-application to the program will be required. If you find yourself unable to take courses during a particular year, please contact us so that we will know you have not dropped out of the program entirely. We can also facilitate re-entry into the program, should your inactivity last longer than two years.


Criteria for Accepting Graduate Credits

As per Office of Graduate Studies policy, up to nine credits may be transferred into the Master of Science Educational Leadership program. Credits earned prior to being accepted into the program will be evaluated when you apply. Decisions on those credits will then be indicated on your acceptance form.

Criteria include the following:

  • The course instructor is a regular graduate faculty member of an accredited institution, or the instructor has the qualifications comparable to regular graduate faculty and has the approval as an adjunct faculty member at the transfer institution.

  • The course is acceptable in a graduate degree program at the transfer institution.

  • The course syllabus is available with objectives, evaluation methods, and bibliography.

  • The course has formal meeting times and complies with the normal rule of no more than one course credit earned per week and 14 contact hours (60 minutes each) per semester credit.

  • The course is offered at a location close to a university (professional) library.

  • The academic program and/or institution are appropriately accredited.

  • The seven-year time limit is applicable for all courses to be part of a master's degree.

  • Independent study, seminars and workshops are generally not acceptable as transfer credits.

No letter grade of below a “B” will be accepted in transfer. No more than nine semester hours will be accepted in transfer, except in established cooperative programs. Credits accepted in transfer will be noted as comments on the student's transcript. No grades will be recorded, and grades will not be included in the computation of grade point averages.

Transfer of Credits

Transfer credit is course credit earned at another institution that is accepted into your program here. Credit earned prior to program admission will be evaluated at the time of admission. Students who have been admitted to the graduate program and wish to take course work at another institution should enroll as a Guest Matriculate at that institution and secure prior approval from the Program Coordinator if you hope to apply these credits to your program. At the conclusion of the course you will need to have an official transcript sent to the Office of Graduate Studies.

Financial Aid and Full-Time Student Status

For federal and state financial aid purposes here at UW Oshkosh, graduate students are considered full-time if they carry a load of 9 credits per semester. For federal student loans, all that is needed is half-time enrollment, or a minimum of 4.5 credits per semester. At the time that the loan is disbursed, enrollment is checked and the student has to have at least 4.5 credits or the federal student loan cannot be paid. Full-time enrollment is not required for loan deferment.

UW Oshkosh sends monthly electronic enrollment rosters to the loan agencies. These rosters indicate any enrollment changes. When a student falls below the 4.5 minimum half-time enrollment, the 6-month grace period for the loan kicks in. If the student later re-enrolls in at least 4.5 credits, the loan will be placed in deferment status as soon as the agency receives the enrollment roster for the following semester. For more information, contact the UW Oshkosh Financial Aid Office.

Document Actions
Contact Us

Educational Leadership

College of Education and Human Services 

800 Algoma Blvd.

Oshkosh, WI 54901

Marguerite W. Parks, Chair

Karen Gibson, Grad Coordinator

Mary Bartelt, ADA