North Fond du Lac
Aaron Sadoff, School District of North Fond du Lac District Administrator, was visited on August 21, 2012. The discussion focused on four areas concerning district policy; district expectations of new teachers; TPA and producing a student teacher video; and the following programs:
- The Add on Licensure Program extends the license of teachers. The program is individually tailored to help teachers or districts enhance their flexibility in curriculum areas.
- The Educational Leadership Program has the flexibility for districts to choose course work that focuses on their district goals and initiatives. This course work could be made part of an individual Master’s of Science Degree for teachers in the district
- A new Principal Licensure Program is now available and is being offered in site-based cohorts or on-campus.
- The Reading Teacher License (316) and Reading Specialist License (317) are both licenses that can aid teachers in the development of programs that focus on the Literacy Common Core Standard that involves all curriculum areas.
The following key points were also discussed during the visit:
- New teachers need to understand RTI, PBIS and the common core standards. It is also very important that new teachers should care about kids; have a strong work ethic; be risk takers and be a life long learner.
- In the district it possible for a student teacher to make a video and send it on the Internet to an outside location. The district also has a passive permission for student involvement in a video. If necessary the district will send a letter home with students for permission to be in the classroom during the making of a student teacher video.
- The district feels that the Add On Licensure is a good program to offer to districts and the district is always looking for teachers with multiple licensures.
- An 18-week, one site, co-teacher format for student teaching would be more beneficial for student teachers and the classroom students. The district would be interested in being involved in a future pilot of this program.